Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 2 cats. One named Phil and Tommy. Both cats have been indoor for 3 years...we just moved into a home and now with our backyard fence easily accesible by Phil jumping over we are unable to let them out into the fresh air at all. We tried letting Phil out the front door a couple times and wander for a little while but now everyday he is at the door and meows CONSTANTLY to the point that we have to put him upstairs in a room!! He seems depressed and sad...We are thinking that we might just get him a collar and a tag and let him roam the outdoors. We are just affraid of a lot of different things because we have had them indoor for so long...do we let Phil run wild?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Some indoor cats that have been out- whether on a leash, or by accident, will want to go back out again. A lot of people here have cats that meow at the door and behave like brats -like in this thread

You can get Phil to stop driving you crazy by being firm and not letting him out even though he's doing his best to drive you crazy. This works for most cats after a few months.

There are lots of different opinions on this board, but I would rather keep Phil indoors and try to train him to avoid meowing rather than let him roam - if you are worried about it being dangerous, I think you should follow your gut instinct and keep him in, and try some other options, like a cat fence or retraining. There is a thread on this board somewhere about building/adding your own catfence to your yard.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Our neighbors were throwing away a large dog crate/kennel and we asked if we could have it. The crate/kennel is made of thick wire so no roaming dogs can get to the kitties and the kitties cannot get out. It also had a bottom pan, which I took out and placed on top of the cage/kennel, for a sun shade. We use the crate to put our kitties in so they can get fresh air and sunshine and still be safe and contained.

At a home we had in California, husband built a cat-cage/kennel onto the side of the house, accessible through a window for the kitties. You could do the same thing, accessible with a cat-flap door. I wish we could do that with this house, but we have no where good to place the cage/flap.
Heidi

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
My cat is indoors only. I made the mistake of letting him out on a leash. He loves to be outside and would meow to get outside also. He hasn't been out for a long time and now he sits and looks out the window, meows and I feel so guilty. It is cold and I won't take him out because I don't like the cold. BUT, he is fine. I would never let him roam outside without a leash. Too many things can happen to him. I think Phil will be fine. Dont worry, but I wouldn't let him out without being on a leash.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Our Siamese Jack BOLTS out the door whenever it is opened. He's a royal pain in the butt everytime I open that darn door. He gets out and I end up chasing him down while he screams noooooooooooooooooo!
We are going to build an outdoor enclosure next spring and connect it to the house so he can come and go. The other four cats don't ever try to get out. We should have named him Houdini!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES

Thanks to you all that replied...I feel better knowing that he will be ok and that we are not the ONLY people dealing with a cat with an "outdoor" heart...he should consider himself lucky right? We are lucky too :) THANKS AGAIN! :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Cookie has an outdoor heart too. :( He drives me nuts with his whining at the door. Most days I let him roam. We live in town and i am well aware of dangers that lurk, but he's happiest this way. He gets nearly mean and aggressive if he goes a couple days without going outside. Most days, he eats breakfast, goes out for awhile, comes in for a nap, goes out again and then back in for the evening.

I know if something happens to him, we'll be incredibly sad and we'll miss him horribly. I think of it this way... if I'm going to be a cat owner and the cats I take care of are to be happy and content, than I have to accept their personalities. Cookie is not a cuddly cat, he's a stand-offish proud cat that loves to strut his stuff and brave the great outdoors. I wish he was different, but why force him to become something he's not happy to be? We'll love him and take care of him however long he is with us.

Ellie has no desire to go outside. A few times she's ventured close to an open door only to scurry back inside as fast as she could go. She most content to curl up in her bed by a heater and play Princess on a Pillow! :lol: Cookie and Ellie are as opposite as day and night!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi TP9908,

Do you have somewhere in your house you could maybe try a little activity area for Phil? Including lots of scratching posts, toys, cat water fountains and maybe hiding a few treats around for him, a proper little kitty theme park!! - just a thought, it might take his mind off going outside a bit?

Let me know how you get on

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mike has a wandering heart too! :heart

He snuck out once a year ago and would cry by the doors to get out after that. I started taking him out on a leash. He was insatiable.

I stopped taking him out. It seemed the more I took him out the worse he got with the crying at the door. Now he will sit by the door but no longer cries. He likes an open window though and I allow that. :wolfie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts