Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious what you do with your kitties empty wet food cans? Toss in the garbage, recycle, or use for something else?

I'm sure they could be used for something useful but haven't figured what for, yet.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I recycle them. The cat rescue I volunteer with I put a recycle can (bathroom trash can with lid) there so I can take home their cans. They were just tossing them out prior. I get around $10/month just from Bootsie's cans, it's around $30 a month now with the rescue's cans.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
MissBoots, please tell us more about this recycling for money thing... the rescue I work at goes through TONS of cans, and they are just getting tossed out with the recycling. If we could be earning a buck instead, that would be amazing!

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I'd love to know as well. Every penny counts around here. If I could be making a tiny bit back on his food, that'd be great.

·
Registered
709 Posts
We have to recycle everything over here in England- we currently have 3 different types of bin (trash can?!).

We collect most of our recyclable products in a box in the kitchen, but the girls soon discovered they could pull the pouches/tins out and lick the contents! Not so nice when there's a nice of a tongue injury. So now we have to put them straight into the outdoor bin.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
They're recycled... where I live there are currently two type of recycling, paper and then everything else. The tins go in the everything else. There are various other types of recycling programs depending on where you live, the apartment complex I lived in had three of four different bins outside for recycling.

There are recycle depots that I know of (about three in my city) that take bottles and the drinking tin cans and give you more money for them than liquor stores/grocery stores... they don't pay for the cat tins though, they only recycle them. People also drop off old electronics there. Again, they don't get any money for them but they get rid of them for free. It would be nice if they did pay for all that stuff!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they recycle electronics for free?!?! nice We have to pay $ to do that here. Which reminds me, now that I have a car I can take my very old electronics to the recycling center.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I throw them out in the garbage. And yeah, I feel like a terrible person even typing that.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
My apartment complex doesn't recycle and I don't currently have a car so yeah.... mine all go into the trash unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
" I get around $10/month just from Bootsie's cans"

Money? There can be money involved? You better tell me how because I just throw them into the trash next to my plastic water bottles. Unless there's money involved I'm going to continue to trash the world your kids will have to live in.

I hate recycling. When I lived in Conn there were recycling Nazis and fines for not recyclying. One county near here in Fl is going to start putting RFID chips into people's recycling bins and fining them if they aren't out by the curb often enough. Green Nazis.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
they recycle electronics for free?!?! nice We have to pay $ to do that here. Which reminds me, now that I have a car I can take my very old electronics to the recycling center.
Best Buy will recycle your electronics for free.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I try to recycle mine. If you have any place that takes aluminum drink cans or scrap metal, you can make so much a pound basically. rinse, bag, take em in they weigh them and give you cash for them. Good thing its like a 5 minute trip for me, and on the way to other places I want to be.

If I put them in with the normal recycle bins tho, no pay :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
The brand my cat eats comes in aluminum cans. They get thrown in with pop and beer cans. I then take them to the recycle place. At 50+ cents/pound and the recycle place is only a mile away it is a great deal for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts