Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We feed our kittens a combination of wet and dry food. Since they are kittens (almost 6 months old), they simply eat TOO much for us to be able to afford ALL wet right now.

Along with grain free wet (Wellness, BG, etc) they've been eating Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lover's Soul dry, which they love, but I'm trying (in vain) to switch them over to grain free dry.

Mr. Spencer is NOT having it. He will not even try ONE piece of anything other than Chicken Soup. He just barely sniffs it and then eats around it. Once he's eaten all of the dry food he likes, well, then he's done eating, even if he's still hungry. (Which he probably is - this boy can EAT!) We've tried BG dry. Today I came home from the pet store ALL excited with a trial size bag of Orijen. Lily immediately loved it (in fact, she picked around the Chicken Soup to eat the Orijen! Success!!), but once again, Spencer will NOT eat it.

Spencer will ONLY eat BG and Wellness wet, and even then only certain varieties. We've tried Innova Evo, Weruva, and possibly some others I'm forgetting...and NOPE. Lily will eat it all, though. He also refuses to eat ANY treats I've tried, even freeze dried chicken or salmon, both of which Lily is CRAZY about!

So what is the best strategy here? Do I let him win this battle? (That's what I've been doing - he is apparently very stubborn!) Do I keep trying the Orijen until he finally caves in? (If that ever happens!!!) It seems that Spencer is in a "familiar foods" rut that he simply will not break out of. We're lucky that their foster home fed them Wellness canned, or we may never have gotten him to eat that, either!

Also, for you multi-cat households that have some picky eaters, some not...do you just feed your cats different things? I'm pretty sure that's what's going to happen, since I don't want Lily to miss out because her brother won't try anything!!

Oh, and for some visual aids, here is Mr. Picky ;) :

YAAAAWWWNNN

In this one, I believe he's pondering the meaning of life.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
106 Posts
What do you do when he doesn't eat the dry you're offering? Do you leave it out, pick it up, replace it? Does he have set mealtimes? Do you measure out their daily ration of dry, or leave them enough to free-feed 24/7?

I'd try feeding him just wet for a day or two, then instead of wet for one meal put down a smaller-than-normal serving of the (mixed) kibble and see what happens. If he doesn't eat the kibble by his next feeding, pick it up, give him his normal ration of wet and try again at the following feeding. Yes, this will mean he'll have skipped a meal, but missing one meal in 24h should be OK if he's healthy :)

You may need to rearrange things to feed your cats separately, or feed everyone wet for a couple days, or just put out the grain-free kibble for everyone... which might make things a bit messy for a few days, but you *can* switch a cat's food cold turkey if you must (just keep an eye out to make sure any digestive upset isn't TOO bad). If you can convince him to start eating *some* of the new kibble, you could backtrack and mix in some of the original food back in, to settle any upset tums.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
So, you have already tried mixing just a little of the new dry food in the the old dry and he picks around it? Usually you do need to increase the new food by small amounts. Cats seem to like whatever they ate last.

I'm really glad my cats aren't picky. My former cat was (it was a health-related issue)& it was a trial to find something she would eat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts