Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started work again after nearly 3 years 6weeks aog .. and now my self confidence has come back and im settling in nicely.

Its a small business that packages dried fruit and nuts , the business premises is on a farm nearby and Heidi the owner's home is also there .

Now what I enjoy the most she has three bull mastiffs, two yappys and a HUGE cat, she also has an 88 year old granny :lol:

Its great .. home from home really , Heidi the owner can be difficult but thats fine .... I can put up with a lot for good money and a good working enviroment.

This afternoon for example I was in the orange grove with the dogs dealing with about 15 orange thieves.

Catz comes ambling into the office most afternoons ... now apparently he doesnt like to be handled much :roll: oh yeah ..... he rolls around on my keyboard while im on the phone dealing with customers .... I get the giggles with this silly cat :lol:

Its busy , hectic ... but fun :lol:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I work for an economic research institution as a map maker. It was the first professional job I applied for and luckily they hired me and I started a couple days after graduating from college.

The benefits are really great and my boss is pretty flexible with hours and I can work from home if I ever need to. They're also paying for me to go back to school and get a master's degree.

I really like the work, I make maps for internal use and people hire us to write reports and make maps and the such. I'm rarely bored here because there's always new projects to work on.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
ICT Teacher, each day is different with its different challenges. I love having a laugh with the older kids to the little kids wanting to play around. I enjoy organising fun things, for the rounders club I run I've organised a teachers vs pupils match which the kids can't wait for. Everything is different, lots of fun things and although the teenagers go through the "I hate you!" phase it's all great fun :D

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
What do I enjoy about my job? I work from home, and I am my own boss!

I also enjoy very much, the relationships I've created with some of my customers, and just knowing that they trust in my abilities! I enjoy doing the best job I can, to keep my customers happy, and view it as a privilege to stay in business. I love starting a project from scratch, and ending up with a product that I know will serve a purpose. One of the other things that I really enjoy about what I do, is when a customer shares pictures or a story about the products that they ordered from me.......especially pictures of the babies!! :luv

·
Registered
981 Posts
I am learning to build house from my father and his freinds.

What I like most about my job is the people I get to meet and watching something I helped design become reality

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
I loved the anonymity.
I haven't worked in 5.5 years due to my health, but before that I was a secretary for two Sheriff Offices. The first one (WA state) was for a jail and the second one (here in GA) was for the Criminal Investigation Dept.

I really loved 'knowing' all the dirt...but not knowing any of the people.

I didn't have any 'ha! ha! they got theirs!' moments or 'oh, no...how terrible!' thoughts. It was just stuff (good, bad and indifferent with the occasional awful tragedy) happening to people I didn't know. So while I suffered from a humanitarian standpoint (bad things happening to people) I didn't suffer from personal knowledge of these people.

My fave reports to enter were the DUI's. It was hilarious to read/type the excuses they would come up with to try to get out of their ticket and trip to jail. My least favorite were the Domestic Violence and Child Molestation reports. Working for these two offices really opened my eyes to how widespread drugs, dui, domestic violence and child molestation are. It isn't just a few stories in the news, it happens more often than I cared to think about...and many were committed by people you wouldn't expect at all.

A hazard of the job was being recognized at the grocery store.
People would come up to me and say "Hey, don't I know you?" I'd ask where they worked and usually they would ask where I worked...meaning they didn't work. When I would say the Sheriff Office, I could see the flicker of their eyes as a curtain came down to hide their embarassment. I knew they had most likely been in our jail and that was why they recognized me...but I'd give them an 'out' by saying: "I worked at the front office and if you came in to get a copy of a report you probably picked it up from me." They would always say 'yes, that is where I know you from!'. I worked in back with CID and didn't hand out any reports. :wink:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I like the fact that I only work three days per week, twelve hours per day. The crew I work with is pretty nice. I get to chat with CEOs of mining corporations, and geologists, and chemists, and truck drivers, and all random sorts of folks. Geologists & mining CEOs like to talk, and I like listening to people who like to talk.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
I like the variety in my job. I was hired to take care of the office and I do a lot of the accounting. The company I work for sells windows, stone, doors and various other construction material. When the guys get overwhelmed with quotes to be done they will give me their blueprint and I will do takeoffs for them. I also do ordering and have even been known to help unload a truck. When I was first hired my boss asked me what title I wanted on my business cards. I told him none so that I could do anything I wanted to.
The bonus we have had there in the last few weeks is that my boss bought a golden doodle puppy. His wife does not particularlly like it, so he often brings it to work. Another of my "hats" is taking care of the puppy, but I love it! He is soooo cute!

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I loved singing with the opera company; it was a dream come true. I'm very fortunate. I was able to raise my four children and have a career in music. I worked very hard as a full time mother also. That was the most important job in my life.

I taught piano and voice privately and was also a choir director most of my adult life. Then I got my certification in music and English. Teaching can be demanding, but like teaching your children how to speak, dress themselves, walk, pray....it is so very rewarding. I think, other than performing, that conducting has been a favorite part of my church jobs. It's creative and fulfilling.

In English, I loved to watch a student's creativity bloom. I cherished the time I spent reading essays, believe it or not. Although there were corrections to make, there were gems also, and it made me so happy to hear my students say they'd never had fun in English class before mine.

I think music and English are such creative subjects. :) There is a joy in writing when the words come to your mind faster than you can write them, and in music, playing or singing the works of the masters. Perhaps even more exciting is to hear a child grow from a Johnny one note to a young adult playing Chopin or or singing Verdi. I have truly been blessed, not with money, but in more important ways. I have composed, performed and arranged, but my masterpieces are my children.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
I loved helping people. Even though I have been out of nursing for 11 years (hard to believe) there are still some incidents that are imprinted in my mind. It was often the little things like holding someone's hand that meant the most to me.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm a silversmith. There's nothing not to love about doing this. I get to work at home blasting music all day.

Oh! And there's the whole playing with highly explosive gases, molten metals, and flesh eating chemicals to soothe my dangerous side :lol:

I can work as much or as little as I want, and still bring in the same amount of money. (Example: A bunch of little rings vs a diamond wedding set)

Another thing I love, It's not a competetive job. There always other artists to talk to, smithing groups to join. We're all very helpful to eachother.

So all in all, as long as I'm not setting myself on fire, burning holes in my leg, or spilling acid on myself(like I did last night :roll: ) it's a wonderful existence.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I love almost everything about my job!, save the not-so-good PTO benefits.

It's great working from home, not having to leave the house, no special wardrobe, not spending money on gasoline and I get the biggest thrill out of listening to medical situations all day and typing them out!

There are a couple downsides, like certain times of the year when the workload is really low or in times of system crashes (which are actually pretty minimal).

As long as I get my arse out of bed at a decent time and stay focused throughout the day, it's easy to do things like keep up with the laundry, do the dishes and get supper ready all during my work day before the rest of the family comes home.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
chaoticborders said:
I'm a silversmith. There's nothing not to love about doing this. I get to work at home blasting music all day.

Oh! And there's the whole playing with highly explosive gases, molten metals, and flesh eating chemicals to soothe my dangerous side :lol:

I can work as much or as little as I want, and still bring in the same amount of money. (Example: A bunch of little rings vs a diamond wedding set)

Another thing I love, It's not a competetive job. There always other artists to talk to, smithing groups to join. We're all very helpful to eachother.

So all in all, as long as I'm not setting myself on fire, burning holes in my leg, or spilling acid on myself(like I did last night :roll: ) it's a wonderful existence.
So, want an apprentice? I'm a good welder already!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Right now, my favorite part of my job is 4:30pm, when I get to go home. Unfortunately, my boss is an *** sometimes and when he gets mad at his wife, he takes it out on me and I can do nothing right in his eyes, and in the last week, he's yelled at me at least 6 times. He goes on vacation for 2 weeks starting June 30th, hopefully he'll come back in a better mood.

I don't want to leave my job, the money and benefits are excellent and I have built up an excellent communication line with my customers. They pretty much trust me more than they do the people back east at corporate.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm a KINDERGARTEN TEACHER!!!!!!!But I didn't start out in this branch of education.

I was a music major - quit my senior year of college. After doing the same thing from age 4 to 22... you get burned out. I ended up hating what I was doing.

I took a few years off and went back to college studying something I always thought I might like to do... at 26. I LOVED IT!

No two days are the same. I learn something every day. I am a child's first teacher. They experience some things for the VERY FIRST TIME with me. Snow, flying kites, learning to read, socializing with people outside their immediate families, learning about compassion - you name it. Every day is a FIRST. Not every day is perfect, but the challenges teach and humble me in a big way.

On the other hand, once you meet their parents - it ALL MAKES SENSE.

I work with talented people and our job is an honorable profession. I can't complain about my pay, my schedule or my benefits. I know I'm blessed. I know I'm fortunate to have a job that I like and 9 times out of 10 - I don't mind buying things out of my own pocket and I don't mind coming in early and leaving late. I don't mind that I work during the summers and that I take classes just so I can learn something new.

The only thing that I dislike about what I do is

(1) A lot of parents aren't as involved as they should be. They think it's my job to parent as well as to teach - This encompasses a MULTITUDE of issues in itself. On the other hand, when I DO attempt to invoke character traits such as empathy, dependability, compassion, fairness, equality, responsibility, being courteous, graciousness, self-reliant... I could go on.... suddenly I'm NOT THE PARENT, all I'm supposed to do is TEACH. LOL! Go figure. I do NOT want to teach 'religion' in my class, that's a parent's role. I don't want to go against anything that you teach at home or learn in your places of worship. However, positive character traits and valuing one another is UNIVERSAL.

(2) A lot of parents are difficult to communicate with for various reasons. The language barrier, inability to work WITH me by reinforcing at home what we do in school, can't see that their children are imperfect little humans and they believe that everyone picks on their kids - OR - they can't see that their children are really kinda OK kids that just need a little pat on the back every once in a while, some encouragment, praise, some incentive to progress.

Really, reason #1 is the only thing I dislike. It covers all the problems that schools have out there in my opinion.

Anyway, I really like what I do and I can't imagine doing anything else. When I retire - I want to garden, to create, to inspire, to explore... which isn't all that different from what I do right now!!

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I am a parent, as well as a teacher. However, when I was teaching in a school for severely disabled children, mentally, physically, and socially, one of the parents told her child's classroom teacher it would be worth a million dollars if she could potty train her 8 year old. The teacher did! And that was quite an accomplishment. However, as soon as the child went home from school, the parents put her in diapers. Those are the difficult parts of teaching. :(

I had a visitor to one of my classes at another school. She came unannounced, and I discovered later that she had not asked permission from the office. Nor had she even stopped at the office. Her child had been in an unstructured school, and had to be corrected time and time again for getting up and walking around the room, speaking out, etc. When class was over, she introduced herself. She said she was certain the teachers were singling out her child because he was TALL! My sons are both 6'4", and at 2, people thought they were at least 5, and expected a lot from them. I explained that, but it did no good. I would have been the last person to expect too much from a tall child. Her child had to learn the rules. It was that simple. But mother thought we were all singling her child out because of his height. :(

Very seldom do I have a problem with the parents, but it's very upsetting when it happens.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts