Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think cats are such fascinating creatures. What does everyone think is the neatest/most intriguing/interesting part of cat behavior in general or quirks in your specific cat?

I think mine is the games Lestat seems to think up. Also, it's fascinating to me to watch him go through that thought process of being a predator. Find a nice place to watch from, stalk, wiggle butt, pounce!!!!

What about you guys??

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think it's amazing how they all have their own little personalities and habits like humans do.

My ragdoll Sasha loves cuddling right beside me all night in bed. Around 830-9ish she had this routine that she will lay in the entrance way hall by the living room and keep coming to get me to go to bed. Lately she wants to go to bed at 730. Way too early for me lol.

My other two have their favourite toy and the same time every night (usually right around bed time) they will scream and drop their toys at my feet as if to say, play time!

They also ways know when meal time is so if I forget I have three hungry cats sitting at their food spot staring at me meowing. Lol

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm always amazed by how Midnight, the wild cat, travels all through the woods every day and night, no matter what the weather.

Unless there is a really bad blizzard going on, he leaves his heated house in the garage and goes out in the snow and below zero temps. Even when the snow is so deep he has to travel in the deer paths.

Sometimes, when I'm upstairs on the computer, I'll see him trotting up the driveway on his way back to the garage for some lunch. :grin:

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I'm fascinated by a couple things -- first, the fact that they're not really motivated to please us, so they're completely themselves. The saying is, "Dogs are motivated to please us; cats are motivated to survive." So I've always had the feeling that Murphy is completely being himself, which is refreshing.

Secondly, I think one of the reasons that we're all so besotted is that they always give us a little less than we want affection-wise. It's like they say about audiences -- always keep them wanting a little more.

And I'm really interested that they go through phases where, for example, a cat bed is the rage one month and they won't touch it the next. It sure keeps us guessing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm always amazed by how Midnight, the wild cat, travels all through the woods every day and night, no matter what the weather.

Unless there is a really bad blizzard going on, he leaves his heated house in the garage and goes out in the snow and below zero temps. Even when the snow is so deep he has to travel in the deer paths.

Sometimes, when I'm upstairs on the computer, I'll see him trotting up the driveway on his way back to the garage for some lunch. :grin:

That is an amazing picture. He looks like he's deep in thought as he wanders along there.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I admire and envy their ability to sleep. Ya, i have a bit of insomnia. I am all ways amazed by their agility and balance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My other two have their favourite toy and the same time every night (usually right around bed time) they will scream and drop their toys at my feet as if to say, play time!
I wish my cat did this. My cat will literally walk all over me and get in my face until I give her attention.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I clip my kitten's claws when she's sleeping. It's the only time she's still enough. She tends to move her paw away and what fascinates me is that she doesn't lose her temper and bite/scratch me. I mean, I am bothering her while she's trying to sleep.

I am also fascinated by how she gets all spy-like when someone opens the apartment door. She hears the door opening and she'll find a wall or object to hide behind, then slowly peek out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

This is so interesting...I'd like to see what Midnight the wild cat sees in those woods. I wonder if it's like an adventure every day or if it's more like daily drudgery "ok, I have to go in the woods again" or if there's no thought about it either way.

I like when Lestat sits in the window - he really seems like he's enjoying himself. Also - he's become obsessed with all the nature shows I watch. He sits on the tv stand and stares and paws at the screen. Very cute.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm impressed with their strength, agility and flexibility. I'm also amazed at how they manage to get me to spoil them rotten.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Almost everything about cats fascinates me. I had never been close to a cat before my late forties so everything is still a new discovery. The biggest discovery is how they're a lot more similar to humans than I had always thought. And how untrue the "cats are aloof and low-maintenance" stereotypes are.

One thing I admire in my strays and former strays is that they copy each other's behaviors a lot, but only the constructive ones. I haven't observed anyone copying the bullying of one of the strays, for example. Mostly they copy each other's successful ways of communicating with me to get what they want from me.

I'm also fascinated by how highly manipulative they are, so very well attuned to what works for them. Eg: when Prince's eyes are tiny because he's very sleepy, I pet him and scratch his jowls a lot so he'll relax enough to be able to sleep. So now when he wants attention, petting and scratching, he closes his eyes till they're really tiny. LOLOLOL

·
Registered
367 Posts
One thing that fascinates me is their personality. My black cat Nubey did some hilarious stuff to get my attention. He would often run up to me, tap me somewhere, and run off. He'd do this repeatedly and I can't help but laugh!

·
Registered
33 Posts
The thing about cats in general that I find fascinating is their instinct to keep themselves clean and groomed. I love it! :)

The thing I love most about my cat, Bodhi, is when we get in bed at night, our routine is that I lay on my side and he comes up next to my face and sits there purring... I'll pet him and when I stop, he reaches out a big furry paw and taps me gently on the cheek! Melts my heart every single time! I start petting him again and telling him what a good boy he is... if I don't pet him long enough, he'll tap me again. hehe

The thing I love most about my kitten, Clair, is watching her chase the laser pointer like a mad-woman and especially when she starts stalking it and then pounces. It's absolutely hilarious!! :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I love how they can make you fall in love with them not doing much, just by being themselves, and they are great manipulators, I just can't say no to my cat :) they are great example that you will catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, by simply being cuddly, furry, pretty and funny thing you can rule the world lol

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I'm fascinated by how they use the bathroom like a human adult. When Niki came to live here, she walked into the house, served herself dinner from Prince's bowl, then proceeded to make an inspection round of the apt, got to the bathroom, saw the litter box, used it and continued her round. I doubt she'd ever seen a house or litter box before, since she came into my apt. from the streets, where she and her sister had lived for years since I'd known them.

And they're so methodical about the bathroom use, it's just amazing. I didn't know this about cats, I love that you don't have to care about their pee and poo, they just use the bathroom like a human.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I love how Norman and Doris pick things up with their paws, They are Cornish Rexes and I have owned other cats before and have never seen them use their paws like they do. They will wrap them around objects like human hands and toss them into the air to catch them, I have also had Norman wrap his paw around my finger like a baby and hold it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts