Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Sorry I've not been around for a while. Life's busy. Busy busy busy busy. Had to take a moment though to pop in as I'm having a little problem with the Drizz man, and I'm clueless as to what to do about it. Usually I just give in, but I don't know what he even wants...

See, Drizzle is a cry baby. A big cry baby. His crying is soooo sad, soooo heart wrenching, I can not help but give in. It hurts me to hear him cry. So he's basically spoiled wrotten... and now we're having problems. He's been crying a lot without any obvious reason. He'll sit at my door or in the hall outside of it and cry, until I get up and follow him where he wants. Usually down stairs. I figure he wants food? Only one out of every ten times, cause I offer him various foodstuffs and he rarely eats it. I figure he wants to play, so I throw a paper ball, he runs after? And sits there and crys where it landed. Cry, cry, cry, cry, cry.

I've been keeping treaties in my room, and if I give him some, he'll stop - for a while - and then he starts up again. He's sitting on my bed no 2 feet from me and doing it. I ask him "What?" I follow him where he wants me to go, I offer him food, play, attention, hugs, love, petting... *sigh* I'm rapidly aproaching my wits end. I almost yelled at him today, and I never yell at the kitties! He's not being bad, he's just... crying! Is he sick? He's not behaving sickly. He's running, he's sleeping, he's eating and using the litter box all normally. He's just crying more as well.

Should I take him to the vet, just to be safe? He loves to chew on paper... could he have eaten some of it and it's doing something to him? Like I said, he uses the litter box. He has very distinct... 'remains' in the litter box, so you know he is using it... he's acting totally normal -- except he's crying for no reason! None that I can tell! Am I missing something?

Help!! :cry: :?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think you might've answered your own question. The problem is (in my opinion) that your kitty is spoiled rotten! Cats are smart and like to wrap you around their little paws whenever possible. If you spoil them and treat them when they cry/meow, they'll get used to it. It's a positive reinforcement when you do so. So basically, meowing=treat, etc.

I think the only way to stop him from getting worse is to start ignoring him. I know it'll be hard at first because they can be so insistent. Establish playtime or treat time or attention time. Give him attention when he's not asking for it. After a while, the crying should die down.

This, of course, is what the situation sounds like to me. You might want to wait and see what other people have to say about it. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
*Sigh* The problem is I have the will power of ... something without much will power. I just can't say no!

:oops:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
From what I recall, wasn't this the same cat that would cry outside your mother's door when she would shut him out - cry until she would let him in? I think it may be a case of spoiled rotten. Barnaby does some of the same, just not quite to this extent. He wants food, treats or play. I give in about 50% of the time. Yes, isn't it hard to resist such a cute, sad little meow?

For some reason, Barnaby usually understands SHHHHH...... Sometimes when I'm sleeping he'll jump on the bed and start meowing. I give him a SHHHH and he stops. I don't know if he thinks he's being hissed at or what but it's kind of funny.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I think he's *bored* rotten! Are you doing play therapy with him regularly? A single cat like this needs attention, and he needs a channel for all his teenage energy. Twice daily play sessions would be very helpful. See http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=012 for the how-to's.

This is definitely a case where I'd consider getting another cat to keep him company and help work off the excess energy. (But be sure to read the articles in our library on bringing in a new kitten!)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have two cats, Drizzle and Boo. Boo does hide an awful lot from him, though. He loves her so much, he always has. When we brought him home, he was like, "Hi!" because he'd been with his brothers/sisters since birth so he was all ok with other cats. Her reply was hissing and growling, but he was never scared, he was always curious. He loves to play with her too, but she is a very singluar indivdual. Loner, lonely, depressed, distant, half because she's always been a loner and distant and the other cause she gets sad easily, like when anyone leaves the house. She also doesn't seem to like Drizzle too much, always running from him. And me. And everyone else. My sisters ex may have abused her at times when he was home alone with her. We're not sure.

I just don't know what's wrong. I'm really worried now more than frustrated, cause I'm wondering if he's sick and is trying to tell me? He seems to be acting normal, but... I dunno.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hrm. Well whatever he wanted, he seems to have gotten. He's stopped his crying. Oh still the rare one at the laundry room door since he wants to explore it, lol, but nothing like it was for 3-4 days. I wonder what he wanted so badly? :?:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts