Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last week or so, Genie will walk into the room I'm working in and miaow at me every 15 minutes or so. I say hello, she says miaow, I pet her, play with her a little until she gets bored, talk or sing to her and she relaxes and goes about her business soon after. 15 minutes later she's back. I don't know what she wants. She has plenty of food, her litter tray is clean, she doesn't like cuddling. She seems active and alert, poking around with the tip of her tail gently twitching, and when she lies down she blink-smiles at me without hesitation. It's true that this miaowing has only started since I stopped feeding her fish. Is she just saying hello or is she complaining about something? Is she coming to visit or to remind me that there's still no fish on her plate?! Is miaowing without demand normal?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Abby mews a lot. She usually means, "Susan, take that silly computer off your lap and play with me instead!"...so I do.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Prince meouws when he wants a treat or when he wants me to come to where he is instead of him coming to where I am. He never ever meows otherwise. And yes, he meows when he doesn't like the food in his bowl and wants something else. But if there isn't something else coming, he eats what's in the bowl.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I've heard it said that cats vocal patterns can mean a lot of things. Trills of excitement, growls of tension, etc. They use this and their bodies to communicate to one another. But that the distinctive meow is reserved for humans. And do you know what the experts say? That is is a cat that is demanding something (no wonder they only use it with us lol). It is a I want statement. Which sounds like you've already heard all of that :)

My personal opinion is that she is coming in to be with you. She may not like cuddles, but she is blatantly showing you affection in cat speak. I think she is trying to convey to you her desire be near you and express her love in a way that she is comfortable with. If you like her talking then keep talking back to her. It creates a sense of bonding and she will want to have more and more conversations with you. And of course it is always possible that there is a fishy complaint on the side :p

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
My yard semi-feral cat miaows when she wants inside or when she's hungry. For either thing she needs a human, so she uses the "miaouw" for those.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Genie sounds to me if she's saying... "some fish, please". Test your theory, give her some fish and see if that's the end of the meowing every 15 mins. If she continues the meowing, stand up and say. "What do you want" or "Show me". My cats do this sometime, then lead me to whatever it is, looking back to make sure I'm following. (lol)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Miu will run into a room I'm in and say 'MEOOOOOW!" while looking straight at me. I know it's her saying 'HI MOOOOM!' She'll jump up to where I am and rub on my arms a bit affectionately. After some petting and stuff, she'll just walk off non-chalantly like she's had enough. I think she's just doing what little kids do with their parents.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Miu will run into a room I'm in and say 'MEOOOOOW!" while looking straight at me. I know it's her saying 'HI MOOOOM!' She'll jump up to where I am and rub on my arms a bit affectionately. After some petting and stuff, she'll just walk off non-chalantly like she's had enough. I think she's just doing what little kids do with their parents.
haha, Lily does something similar to this! She'll be napping on the floor near my desk chair, then suddenly she'll jump up, meow, and run and leap into my lap, purring and cuddling. After a few minutes, she'll jump off and go about her business. It's pretty adorable.

I often try to figure out what their meows mean...Spencer had been going into the bathroom and MEOWING loudly. One of us would go and see what he wants, but he'd just stare at us blankly, utilizing his patented "deer in headlights" expression. Finally, last night, I figured it out! He wants someone to come into the bathroom and turn on the faucet so he can jump on the bathroom counter and stare at the water, batting at it occasionally with his paw. haha, go figure...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts