Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually my Tutu shows her belly when she wants to play. She even does this to TOYS, thinking they will magically come to her side and animate themselves so she can chase them.

Pic of her in her "seductress" pose

She'll do it even if no one is nearby, seemingly in the hopes that a hand will gravitate to the tummy.
Sometimes she dozes off in that position!

Then sometimes, if I pet her tummy, she either gets angry or excited and starts to play fight (grasping/rabbit kick/play bite).

To me, it just tells me she's bored.

What about you??

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Both my guys are belly rub likers. They bloth flip over and give me their belly to rub gently. Eventually though they both get overstimulated and it turns into a venus cat trap.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
My Metoo shows her belly ALL the time. When sleeping, when waiting for meal, when lying next to me, when no one is nearby... I think she just like to roll around on the floor. And she never reject a belly rub.

My Meatball only shows her belly when she is laying on my laps. I think it's a way to show her affection and trust toward me :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Squeek loves belly rubs! She flops over and rolls from side to side until someone comes and rubs her belly. I call it the wiggle worm. You have to be very very gentle when you do rub it though. She doesn't like much pressure there.

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think it shows total trust, love. Frst she'll jump up onto my lap then deliberately roll onto her back exposing her belly. I take it as a sign of total trust--and this is a cat who lived on the streets for the first four to six months of her life.
I make a fist and do a circular motion, mainly towards her back paws. I also sometimes massage deep into her arm pits. I figure she stands on her feet a lot so those areas might be sore. (I have had massages for years so try to mimic what my massage therapist does.) She loves it, makes a kneading motion with her paws. I watch very carefully her body language and stop a couple of times during the session to make sure she wants me to continue. After two or three start-stops, she usually gets off my lap or curls up and falls asleep.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
My two are different from each other. Book likes his belly rubbed. MowMow is way more fussy (surprise surprise). He ONLY likes it if you gently comb your nails through his belly fur. NO rubbing. Extra points for cooing "fat squishing time" in a sing song voice while you do it.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Maine ***** tend to lay with their belly up, so Holly does it a lot. She's happy to get her belly rubbed or have me blow raspberries on it.

Kobi will lay belly up but I know that messing with it is sure to end up with a bloody hand.

It took Maggie 10 years before she let me pet her head, she'll have to live to 102 before she'll let me get near her belly.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Apparently my cats want to play venus cat trap. Or hand trap, or whatever. They will show the belly but if you touch it they attack your hand and then wonder why you don't want to play that game anymore.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's usually when she is relaxed and sleeping & doesn't want me bothering her.. but I end up rubbing her belly cause it's so cute!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's usually when she is relaxed and sleeping & doesn't want me bothering her.. but I end up rubbing her belly cause it's so cute!!
No one can resist the gravitational pull of a fluffy belleh.

Apparently my cats want to play venus cat trap. Or hand trap, or whatever. They will show the belly but if you touch it they attack your hand and then wonder why you don't want to play that game anymore.
Because I know Tutu actually LIKES playing rough (which is bad because she has a minor back problem), I save this for bed time, so we can play KILL THE BED MONSTER. I just use a blanket as a protective sheath from her hypodermic talons, and we both have a safe, good time. She usually wins.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yup, encouraging me to play. - ouch! Hates belly rubs, loves to tempt me though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Trey, 11 months old, rolls belly up for his own comfort. He loves all petting, anywhere on him. He rarely does the cat trap and is fairly gentle even then.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Both my Devons Alkee and Zuba looove belly rubs, kisses and raspberries.....never had my hand (or head!) grabbed yet.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Archie and Winston love to go belly up , for whatever reason they deem appropriate. Usually Ill come into a room and find them belly up just relaxing. I call it practicing for their centerfold shoot.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sienna is forever lying on her back staring at us upside down back over her head. I think that it's for her comfort (she's a Persian) and she enjoys the ceiling fan blowing on her belly. She does NOT want it touched, thank you.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Murphy lies belly-up even though he doesn't especially want to be touched there. I swear, he just knows it's cute. When he gives visitors that pose, I say, "Oh Murph, you're giving her your best stuff?"

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nutmeg and Gabriel, 6 yrs and 1 yr, love belly rubs. They go belly up all the time. I just got a new kitten, 4 mos, who would give me love bites (biting and clawing but not enough to break the skin) if I tried to rub his belly, but just recently he has been going belly up for me too and he loves his tummy rubs. So I think with some cats it's a sign of trust and affection, and that they want a belly rub! With other cats this may not be so. You just have to get to know your cats.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts