Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This article is hard to take, but I think we should know what happens to these free animals, and why we should spread the word as to why we should always charge. Take a big breath before you read it. Of course, this is not always the outcome, but it happens often.

http://www.parrett.net/animalaid/free.html

·
Registered
283 Posts
I don't have the heart to read that, I can only imagine what it says! Advertising an animal as "free to good home" almost never gets them a good home, neither does giving them away or selling them infront of a store(I see that far to much where I live!) IMO anyone that isn't willing to invest a little money in an animal probably won't take proper care of it. If someone isn't willing to pay $65 for a cat in a rescue to cover the cost of the spay, shots, and anything else they give the cat, they probably aren't going to be willing to take it to the vet when it gets sick either.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Yes it's disgusting. I recall an article I read several years ago and I can still remember the loser's name. It was about a person (if you can call him that) that answered "free to a good home" ads and took the animals home to torture and kill them for his enjoyment. Anyone who derives pleasure from watching any living creature suffer is purely sick and I can only hope that one day people like that will experience the same pain they have inflicted. He was arrested but like most animal abuse cases, I'm sure his punishment was minimal. :x :cry:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I feel sick after reading this article. Up until a few months ago, I had no idea that awful things could happen to "free to good home" animals.
That said, I also didn't bat an eye at having to pay $60 to adopt Justin. He was already neutered, had shots and had been tested for FIV/F Leuk. And the article also mentioned what I thought...if you can't pay that adoption fee, how are you going to afford taking them to the vet when they get sick and so forth?

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Thanks for the information on that Jeanie, it was very interesting to read up on that. I wasn't aware of the full dangers of just giving away free kittens but now I know!

<<))

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Wow, how awful. :cry: I have always heard you should never offer animals for free, but I never knew all the terrible reasons why.
Thanks for the info, Jeanie.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts