Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOWZA!

Over the past maybe 1 1/2 - 2 weeks now, there has been a mighty amonia (pee) smell coming from my cats litter box, sure I scoop it enough, I have good litter and deoterizer in it, and changed it all out and scrubbed down the box only a week ago.

You bend down to scoop it and your eyes start watering.

I can not figure out why this is happening, I've thought one of my cats might have a UTI, but the most likely canidate just got a clean bill of health.

Can you think of other causes for this and other ways I could get rid of this problem? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I hate that smell...that's a lot of pee hehehe. They are probably drinking excess amounts of water because it is summer and so they tend to pee a lot. That could be it...is it hot where you are? Having a heat wave? Dry spell? Are you in Western Canada or the US where there is TONS of smoke in the air?? Or, did you change their food lately? Feed them more wet food than usual? Wet food is mostly water so that would explain more pee than normal. The only way to get rid of it is to scoop more. Oh, another question. I'm assuming your box is plastic. Did you notice if the box itself smelled when you cleaned it? If so, maybe you just need a new litterbox. Plastic tends to hold smells and you really gotta replace them once a year or so, especially if you have multiple cats.

Good luck!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes when I clean the litter box I always make sure it does NOT smell before I use it again, lol. One of my cats Asim is very finicky about smells and dirtiness, so I try to stay right on top of all this.

I started feeding Solid Gold (slow transition) and canned Rabbit to them, but this problem appeared a couple days before they started those new foods.

I give them fresh water mulitipul times a day, I have tried putting ice cubes in it too. I just gave them another water dish in a different location.
We have A/C here and it's always on to a nice temp, so I'm not concerned about it being to hot or dry/humid in here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts