Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blinkin'_cats thread made me think of this. I live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, but in the last few years almost all of the theaters have closed! There is a ty close by with a huge mall. All four of its theaters have closed. So have the theaters a bit closer to Pittsburgh and four more a bit east. It's hard to find a theater in this area! Some people say the kids have vandalized the theaters. I don't know, but there's something special about going out to a large theater, eating popcorn and watching a giant screen and hearing sterephonic sound.

I hear many new movies are going straight to DVDs. I think they'll lose their magic; what do you think? Is this happening in your area?

·
Registered
589 Posts
about 3 years ago a bunch of theaters closed in and around our area. I know the one here in town closed b/c of the same reason u listed. They built a larger nicer theater down the road. I can only imagine that the new theater was more cleaner.

I really don't know about the movies that are going straight to DVD though.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Oh, Jeanie! I'm sorry to hear that this is your situation. Going to the theatre is mine and Jim's favorite past-time. After being spoiled by the big city's variety of cinemas (including IMAX theatres!), it was torture for us to live for 2 years in a city where the theatre did not have stadium seating, surround sound, or clean rooms. Many times, we drove an hour to the next city and made an afternoon on the weekends of going to see a film.

Luckily, we are back in Atlanta, so we have our pick again of cinemas again! I could not imagine not going to the movies. I agree with you: there is something special about the whole experience.

Now...if only there were more movies that I was actually EXCITED about going to see...!!! :lol: I think that is the biggest reason why so many movies are going straight to DVD...they are such non-family-friendly films AND/OR they lack an interesting plot.

Also, I've noticed that trailers and tv spots have gotten really bad about just showing you the "blow 'em up" scenes and not really telling you much about the story-line! I'm not going to go to the movie if I don't know what it's about!!! GRR!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
A lot of theatres have simply been losing the competition game. While I've seen lots of theatres close, the existing ones have gotten bigger. Back home, the theatre has eighteen screens, and they've also got a cheap theatre with six screens, where shows are a buck.

So I think the industry is still around and kicking, but the it's all fluctuating.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
It seems to go in waves here -- 15 years ago, there were only smaller 2 to 8 screen theaters in town, then the AMC 20 came in and pushed all the other smaller theaters out of business (or if they didn't go out of business, they became dollars theaters).

Now, we're seeing a lot more Fine Arts theaters popping up or specialty theaters with only one screen, but instead of rows of seats, they have recliners or couches with waiters that bring you your refreshments. This is the place to go if you want to avoid Club AMC on Friday night.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
I hardly ever see a movie in a theater any more. Between the high ticket prices and outrageous snack prices and the inconsiderate audiences I'd just as soon wait six to twelve months to rent and view at home. Besides, there are few movies these days really worth going to a theater to see.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Maybe if they didn't charge an arm and a leg to see a movie that was all hype and no delivery, more people would go to the theater, preventing the closings.

I know a lot of people probably pay more, but there is only one theater chain here and no competition. Prices are now up to $8.75/person. No student discounts either. :evil:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If I'm going to a good quality theatre, I don't mind the prices. Back home at that 18-plex, it's $7/person, which is plenty worth it to me, as all the theatres have stadium seating, huge screens, and incredible sound. When we were there for the week of the 4th, hubby and I saw three movies.

Here, however, we have a cruddy little theatre with seven screens. Half their seats are shot, the sound systems are poor, and it's $7.50/person. We would sooner drive down to Worthington (Columbus suburb) and pay a little more to see a show in a good theatre.

We make a point to try and catch the action movies in the theatre, as you lose a lot of the effect when you rent. Chick flicks, I can watch at home.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Many of the smaller theaters in our area have closed down after the multiplexes moved in. :(

Two remain, however. One has become an arts theater focusing on independent movies. They serve gourmet coffee and baked goods and allow the facility to be rented for fundraisers. It's a great place.

The other is an old-fashioned little five screen theater on a local main street. Movies are about $5 a ticket with cheaper matinees. It's not fancy, but I love it. My kids love to scoop their own candy at the bulk candy bins! Good old-fashioned fun.

·
Registered
449 Posts
In SF they're closing the 1-4 screen theaters in favor of the AMC1000 type theaters with at least 14 screens (between 4 and 7 floors with 4 screens per floor) but I find that I can make a day of it and make that 9.50 worth it by seeing four or five movies

·
Registered
327 Posts
this is so many in my area..i just really dont feel like paying almost $10 to sit in a dakr room on a uncomfortable chair unless its REALLY worth it. if it somethings real good i wont miss it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
This subject actually came up in a job interview I had this week (to be a projectionist at the local theater. lol)

The movie industry is having a hard time right now for a variety of reasons. One of the reasons probably being that there aren't many quality movies being produced right now. Too many sequals, etc.
Another speculated reason is that the economy is kind of in a low spot right now. A lot of people just don't have the extra money to go out and see a movie.

The combination puts a lot of theaters in a tight spot right now. Despite the insane price of seeing a movie, the theaters really aren't making a whole lot of money. In general, the only profit they actually make is from concession sales.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think the quality of movies has gone way down. It seems to me that they keep reamking older movies or tv shows more than they come up with anything original. Huge bummer. The only thing I have seen in the theaters lately is the Harry Potters and Lord Of The Rings.

I always sneak in my own snacks. 7 bucks for a popcorn and soda to share? Are they kidding? Ugh...

Oh and alot of actors are overpaid and over-oppinionated. I would enjoy movies more if I could connect the acting with the actor instead of their political opinion.

We had 3 smaller theaters close for one mega-multi-plex a few years back.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Where I grew up, in Rockland County in NY (suburban NYC), there used to be a ton of smaller local theaters, but then they opened up this huge Palisades Center mall, with a 21-screen Loews THeater with high quality picture & sound, and the others slowly closed. Sad, but that is how it goes. The worst part is that they can hike up the prices, and nobody can argue... it's a total monopoly...

....on a side rant, I can't believe how much money people just THROW away at movie concessions! I don't understand why people will buy entire meals, spend literally $50-$100 to get chicken fingers/fries/mozerella sticks, in addition to popcorn and REALLY overpriced candy and/or soda. Is it that hard to eat BEFORE the movie? Or just not snack during the movie and eat afterwards? You could porbably eat a lot healthier, and eat much higher-quality food to boot... in addition to saving a ton of $. Personally, I just don't get it. A little popcorn every now and then makes sense to me... but it's unbelievable what people will buy! .... :)

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dinner and a movie was always a typical night out. If I'm going to pay that much for dinner, I want it at a restaurant. Of course, there's nothing like the solid gold popcorn and candy while you're watching the movie!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Some theters have closed in recent years in the Lancaster area too but its largely because they replaced a smaller theater with a 16 screen theater. Also, the cheap 2nd run theater was turned into a regular theater so now there's no cheap theater.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I live in very rural area but in the largest city of the area, which is not quite 40,000 people. Our main shopping mall has a multiplex of 9 newly-remodeled stadium seating theatres and we have a 1-screen BTDT movie theatre where the price is like two-thirds the other theatre.

Being in a largely rural state, the 4 major cities all have multiplexes and a few of the smaller towns in between have multiplexes with maybe anywhere from 3 to 5 screens. I honestly didn't know theatres were closing around the country. You'd never know it living here.

I've only been to a theatre outside my state in San Francisco (San Bruno technically) and the area I was in had a huge multiplex as well. I think it was something like 10 screens.

***EDIT: I take that back - I've been to a couple movies while in the Minneapolis area at the Mall of America. But, come to think of it, I don't recall seeing too many other theatres around then either.***

I, too, think that if movies would go straight to DVD they would lose their pizzazz. After all, there's nothing better than good ol' fashioned movie theatre popcorn, is there! :p

·
Registered
998 Posts
Could it have something to do with the fact that you pay $12.00 PER PERSON just to get in the door and then another $15.00 for popcorn and soda. (Talk about blowing the good portion of a $100.00 bill)

When you combine this with the FEW good movies, it's just NOT worth the price. I would rather wait for the movie to come out on DVD then rent it to watch at home on my big screen TV. Oh, and the goodies I MAKE while watching a flick are FAR BETTER than any of the stuff you can buy.

Oh and while I am on the subject, let us not forget about those MEGA-Theaters that play eight movies at once. I find it nice that you can HEAR all eight movies playing while there is a quiet moment in the movie you are watching...NOT!

Those sound like some very good reasons to me.

Ciao!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Jeanie said:
Wow! Clint's scary when he's serious, isn't he?
Shhesh, if you think THAT was scary, I'd hate for you to get on my bad side! :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts