Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best film you have ever ever EVER seen.

For me I choose Trainspotting. I think it was fantastic, no fancy effects. It hit home the truth on drugs, fantastic acting great story.

I also loved War of the worlds, im sure one day this would get topped but the machines and effects did it for me :)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The Incredibles, hands-down. A sly look at real family issues set against a fantastic backdrop. I love everything about that movie.

Jurassic Park is a close runner-up. There have only ever been two movies during which I had such a visceral reaction to the effects that I got instantly teary-eyed: Jurassic Park and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Jurassic Park totally captivated me, and I still watch it from time to time.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'll probably be in the minority, but "Dances With Wolves" was awesome! I bought the dvd with the extended version (because 4 hours wasn't enough!) LOL!

I also loved "In America" about an Irish family that immigrated to New York. Viewed primarily through the eyes of an 8 year old girl. Based on a true story. Awesome drama. I recommend it if you like dramas! I give it 5 Stars, but very few people have heard of it. Watch for it! Still comes on HBO or Cinemax at times...or go rent it.

I also loved Shrek!! Shrek 2, not as much. :|

Oh, and "A Knight's Tale"! I love the way they worked the numerous modern American fads into a very inaccurate, "tongue-in-cheek" account of "Canterbury Tales". Stupid movie with no real content, but fun to watch anyway. If you like history and comedy it's fun. If you are a stickler for historic accuracy, you will either hate it or enjoy the way they toy with it. Some people groan through it more than laugh. It starts out with Queen's rendition of "We Will Rock You" at a joust...(If I remember correctly...haven't seen it in a few years.)

I could go on...but, I won't :wink:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I love Trainspotting too, Zalensia...

Today, I will have to say Ed Wood. I love the fact that it's a movie about the worst movie director of all time -- I watched Plan 9 from Outer Space a few weeks back. It really is THAT BAD!!

But I also love the relationship between Bela Lugosi and Ed Wood in the movie. It's so sweet and sad.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
The Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, The Sound of Music, Ben-Hur, oh my.....can't choose just one.....I've seen those and others numerous times. :D

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Life is Beautiful! I love to watch the Italian version only-(vs. the one that is doubled in English... :roll: )
Abbiamo VINTO! Un Carro armato VERRO! haha I am so taken by it!

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
To Kill A Mockingbird.. hands down!

I love Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.
Its a flash from the past Tim!

Also, I love Hitchcock's Rear Window 8O

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Hitchcock is hard to beat, but It's a Wonderful Life was great. Frank Capra, the producer (or director) thought it was the best of all time, and it is excellent. Going back, we can't ignore Gone With the Wind and The Wizard of Oz.. And I haven't even mentioned the great newer films. Tough question!

On the Waterfront, with Marlon Brando, has to be rated very near the top! It broke the record for Academy Awards at that time, which had been held by GWTW, I believe.

Mitts and Tess. You're so right about To Kill a Mockingbird!. Great movie!

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
To Kill A Mockingbird is one film that was
as good as the book. The book is such a great read.
I read it about once a year also!

·
Registered
452 Posts
In regards to books made into movies:
I generally hate to watch a movie after I have read the book...it can be so disappointing. :( One of the first non-kid books I read was "The Amityville Horror" when it was first released. Then the movie came out (the original) and it was disappointing in comparison.

Another one that I had enjoyed reading (7th grade?) was "Flowers in the Attic" (plus the rest of the Dollanganger series - I have actually read most of the VC Andrews books, but since her death, the "ghost writer" has ruined VC's name). I loved "Flowers..." (book), as a 12 year old girl, but when the movie came out - gawd...that sucked! Nothing like the book...even a different ending! :dis

It's kinda sad that when I was in H.S. (very early 80's) we were required to read books that we were just not quite ready to understand. Sad, because it ruined them in my mind. :(
In my freshman high school year, I took an advanced English class. We were running "behind schedule" because this was a 1st year teacher, just out of college. We had to read the following at the same time (actually over-lapping the same time):

"Canterbury Tales"..."Animal Farm"...Homer's "Iliad and Odyssey" AND "Lord of the Flies"
One at a time, okay...but ALL AT ONCE? That's too much for any adult to fully comprehend...much less 13 and 14 year old kids! We were just handed the books and told to "start reading"...no discussion, no background, nothing. It SUCKED!

Not only that, but we were supposed to do our OWN research outside of class on the Russian revolution so that we could parallel "Animal Farm" with the revolution. I was 13-14...and had never even heard of a Russian revolution! My knowledge of Russia at the time was no more than it being part of the USSR and the "Cold War".

It was too much at once, and toooo confusing. I struggled through every bit of it.

That said, I can't forget to mention "Dr. Zhivago" as one of the greatest movies ever! I will need to re-read "Animal Farm" again...now that I can relate to the history behind the characters. :wink:

·
Registered
998 Posts
I loved the "Lord of the rings" trilogy! The cinematography was outstanding!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Seabiscuit (the best horse racing movie so far)
The Truman Show (it's brilliant!)
The Wrong Guy (so stupid it's funny)
Lord Of The Rings (of course)
A Home Of Our Own (we've had it for years, but I just watched it for the first time a few days ago and it's one of my new favorites)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts