Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this cat of mine for a little over a year now, and when I got her, she was pretty much full grown. the vet said that she was probably a year and a half to 2 years old, so I went with that, but she would play ALL the time, and still does like to play a lot. I don't know if I believe that she was that old, however, because since I got her she has grown from a little 4.5 pound cat to a 7.5 pound cat. would a cat that is full grown gain another 3 pounds? I don't think that the problem is that she is getting fatcor anything, becuase she is very active and looks very lean. what do you guys think?
:D

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
My female Siamese, whom I used to breed, gained several pounds this past year-since she was spayed. She was a sleek cat, but now she's on a diet. I have never seen this happen with any of my other females after spaying. This is the first time I've had an overweight cat. So, I guess it can happen! She is now five years old.

·
Registered
366 Posts
When we adopted Norville, the information on him at the shelter said he was a year old. I'd say he was a medium size cat - we never suspected he was much younger, but at the first vet visit, the vet told us he was closer to 3 or 4 months old. He grew during his first year, and became quite a big boy - never overweight - but a large cat - topping out at a lean 10 lbs.

The vet has some way of determining age - the teeth maybe, I really don't know, but it's entirely possible for a cat to gain weight. I'm no expert, but I'd guess as long as it isn't a sudden weight gain or loss it's okay.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess, I think that the vet did examine her teeth. I guess I just didn't expect her to get much bigger. She used to be so tiny, although that could also be a result of the fact that she was in a shelter. Maybe the people who had her before me just didn't feed her enough or something. she is health and happy today, and literally plays ALL DAY LONG. if she is awake, she is attacking something (never me though...) :lol:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Gingernut is my daughter's cat. It just 'moved in' over 1 year ago. We took him to the vet, he was already neutered and the vet said that he was 5 years old. He has since put on a lot of weight. I think he is now the size he was meant to be, just hadn't been fed properly before. Perhaps your kttie hadn't been at the shelter very long and so had been fed properly previous to this. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts