Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title says, I was wondering what exactly a Raw Diet is? And how exactly is it better than the normal diet of a home kept cat? What are the pros and cons?

I have 2 cats who turned 1 last month who I adopted from a shelter 22nd of Feb this year. They were originally on dry food with half a sachet of wet food each only for the day. I have slowly been changing them from mainly dry food, to mainly wet food. They now get 1/4-1/3 a can between them in the morning and 1/4-1/3 a can between them at night along with a few handfuls of dry food just so they have something through the night. I have read up about the crystals that form in their bladder. Right before I adopted these two kitties, I had my furbaby, Mr. T. Adopted him when he was 3 and I only had him for 3 years - 3 wonderful years - before he got crystals and became blocked. Before that, I had no clue what it was so I was never expecting it. I didn't have the money to pay for the procedure so regrettably, I had to euthanize my precious baby.

Since that and since adopting Jj and Black Jack, I have been absolutely paranoid about them getting crystals. So! I am trying to find the best diet to prevent this from happening. Mind you, I am 17 with no income so I know a raw diet will be completely out of the question until I get a job(I have heard it's expensive). But I would love love love to know more information about it. Or even any diet that is good for them. I have tried to research diets but basically all it comes up with is that dry food sucks and wet food is good, along with snippets of this 'raw diet'.

Thanks for your help guys!

·
Banned
422 Posts
feline-nutrition.org
catnutrition.org
healthypets.mercola.com

These and catinfo.org are all excellent starting places for research on the benefits of raw diets.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Three benefits -

Moisture content - cats need moisture IN their food. Dry food is 10% moisture and cats won't drink enough water to make up the deficit between that and the 70% plus moisture content of their natural prey.

Protein is sourced from animal meat not from plant matter.

Carb content is negligible as compared to 30-40% carb content in dry food.

Not to mention when you serve a raw homemade diet you know exactly what is going into your cat'body. There are no questionable ingredients if you follow a balanced recipe like catinfo.org's.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
And as far as the cost goes, if you do it at home versus commercial raw I've found it to actually be cheaper than high quality canned food.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
And as far as the cost goes, if you do it at home versus commercial raw I've found it to actually be cheaper than high quality canned food.
Very much this!

I did Book's shopping last night:
Boneless Chicken thighs\breasts- 6.99
Chicken Hearts - 3.99
Wings (will be leftovers from this pack.)- 2.99
Beef lover - 1.46
Lamb Kidney - 3.49
Freezer baggies = 2.00

Total 20.66 for a month of species appropriate meals!!

MowMow doesn't get raw, I picked up his canned last night (Wild Calling) and it came to 35.99 for the month.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys, this is appreciated. I will go and look at those sites asap! <3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts