Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hopefully someone can help me this one.

i have two kittens, tyra & tyson. tyra had ear mites when we brought her home (dec. 2003), and had her treated twice with the one time ear mite drops from two different vets. it definitely helped to clear up the excess gunk in her ears.

about a month later, tyson's ears started looking extra dirty, so we took him in for drops as well... although the test came back negative for ear mites.

so now it's march... and both of them still have relatively dirty ears. not as bad as when the mites were present, but still dirty.

soooo... since i'm concerned, but pretty sure they don't have ear mites, i was wondering what a "normal" level of ear dirtiness is? i'm still cleaning their ears every day and putting in drops of mineral oil to suffocate any critters that may be present (although they really shouldn't be there anymore). how much longer should i clean their ears this often? or is it normal for there to still be some brownish gunk in there? please advise, since i know they're getting quite impatient with the daily regiment, and i really don't want to have to bring the both of them back to the vet again for the same issue.

thanks!
-- brite

·
Registered
220 Posts
I once had a dilute calico, Callie, who had an issue of brown gunk from her ear. I took her to my vets' and he found that she had a growth inside her ear. Does your vet have a small scope inwhich he can drop inside their ears in order to diagnose the problem more closely? Normally, ear mites do not return after they have been properly cleaned out. Is it possible, because of the contageousness of ear mites, that there is a place where your cats sleep that could have some ear mites still in it? To answer your question, No, there should not be any dirt inside their ears.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the ear gunk definitely isn't as bad as it originally was when they were diagnosed with ear mites... could it just be that what i see is residual mite stuff still coming out?

as for the cleaning, they tend to sleep everywhere but i've vacuumed thoroughly, washed the sheets & bedding. should i be washing/vacuuming my futon mattress or bed as well? any information on cleaning suggestions would help.

also, how much longer do you think i should wait before going back to the vet? at $40 a cat + whatever the diagnostic fee is, this mite problem has cost me quite a bit already.

dr. jean -- do you have any thoughts or suggestions for me?

thank you so much,
brite

1 - 3 of 3 Posts