It's an ingredient used in non-toxic antifreeze. As far as I know, you couldn't really kill someone with it. It does, however, has a sweet flavour, so I guess it could be used to mask something else.Isn't propylene glycol one of the things that people use to poison others? I saw it in the ingredient list of something I looked at recently and nearly fell over. I wish I could remember what it was.
Propylene glycol has been prohibited for use in food for cats because of a species-specific reaction in the body, as noted in the Code of Federal Regulations, title 21: Food and drugs, 582.1666-propylene glycol.It's an ingredient used in non-toxic antifreeze. As far as I know, you couldn't really kill someone with it. It does, however, has a sweet flavour, so I guess it could be used to mask something else.
I know this because PG is one of two main ingredients used in electronic cigarettes (along with vegetable glycerin) - which I've become very familiar with in the last few weeks. Though inhaling it can cause headaches in some people with a specific sensitivity, the only real downside of it is that it dries you out. There were some tests on dogs and ingested PG causing kidney damage, but the dosages were through the roof. I can try to find that article if you're interested.
Would I feed exclusively a food that contained PG? Probably not. However, I personally haven't experienced any side effects (except being a bit thirsty, but that's worth it to be off smoking) and there isn't any science out there that I'm aware of that small doses could kill a cat.
exactly. you get salmonella from peter pan peanut butter, schwann's ice cream, e.coli from spinach and jalapeños, and then we start killing people with listeria on rocky ford cantaloupes.It's not even just the cat food industry; it's the food industry in general! Here in Canada, food inspection practices have definitely seen better days. Its seems like every time you turn on the news, another food product is being recalled.