Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Spud is my 10 week old kitten that is Siamese colored, but came from an all black feral mom and unknown father. The area he came from is not an area where people are likely to have purebred animals. I have seen a few Siamese looking types of tomcats around, but I don't think that any of them are even close to being purebred.

I suppose I'm asking if in order for a cat to have Siamese coloring, must they actually be Siamese (or have some Siamese in them somewhere along the line) or can a cat be Siamese colored and have no Siamese lineage?

So, can you make an educated guess on what Spud is? Besides, totally and ridiculously adorable.

·
Registered
891 Posts
"Siamese" coloration isn't limited to just Siamese - the color pattern is called "pointed" - basically dark points (legs, tail, nose/face, ears) on a lighter-colored body.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_coloration

The pointed pattern originated in Siamese and other Asian breeds, but it has been bred into many Western breeds.

However, looking at Spud's kitten pics, his blue eyes and facial structure DOES say Siamese to me - at least a bit! I feel like he DOES have some Siamese in his lineage somewhere :}

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you all! I thought he had Siamese in him too, I'm glad we agree. Whatever he is, I am so absolutely in love with him already. He is a really cool kitten.

He was basically a mute until this past week but he's definitely found his voice... and now he won't stop talking. It's very cute, like he's catching up on lost time the past ten weeks of saying absolutely nothing! I've heard that lots of talking is a trait of Siamese cats? Not sure how accurate that is.

Anyway, here's some more pictures, because I have hundreds (thousands?) of him on my phone and I've finally found a place that I can put them without judgement.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully all 8 attachments are showing for you! I can only see 6 of them even though I uploaded 8.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Spud is great! He's a throwback to an earlier generation somwhere in his ancestry... no doubt he looks just like his great great grandpa or something. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
my kittens are the exact same! There was a solid black mom, unknown father. The litter of five had a long hair tortie, long hair grey, and then my three which are a short haired dilute tortie, and a long and short hair "Siamese" looking kittens.

The two color pointed kittens both have bright blue eyes. It amazes me the variation that can be in one litter

·
Registered
15 Posts
oh! I just did a little more research and theres a breed called "birman" which have color points like the Siamese but are much fluffier and rounder.

·
Super Moderator
26,390 Posts
Birmans have pure white feet.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
The Himalayan gene has been in the general cat population for decades. Siamese were extremely popular in the 1950s and 60s when not many people spayed or neutered.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts