Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always used clay litter. I want to try the clumping litter but do not which one to try. I want one that does not have a lot of dust as it causes my cat to cough. Is there a brand that is pretty much dust free? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I tried to add this to my post but the time limit had past. I have a question about how much clumping litter you use in the litter box. Currently I put about 5 to 6 inches in his litter box as he really likes to dig when he uses the box. Can I still use this much with the clumping litter?

·
Registered
145 Posts
We use Dr Elsey's Precious cat ultra- very little dust and clumps hard! The nice thing with clumping litter is you don't have to do a complete litter change as often if you scoop daily and keep it deep. We keep our litter about 4" deep.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I use Swheat Scoop, and I definitely put in 5-6 inches. My kitties love deep litter, and since their boxes all have deep fronts they don't scoop it out very much.

I prefer a non-clay litter that clumps. Back before I switched to Swheat Scoop I found that the clay litter aggravated my asthma, especially when scooping to cleaning out the boxes, and that my cats always had a thin layer of clay dust on them. I bought the low-dust unscented kind, but still had that problem. Now, with the Swheat scoop it doesn't bug my asthma and they don't have the same film on their coats.

·
Banned
605 Posts
I like Tidy Cats for multiple cat households. Absorbs the funk better.
This is what I use too. I only have 2 boxes but both are the uncovered kind (until recently I used covered but realized Mia was uncomfortable in it for her size). I never smell it. I do scoop every morning though.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
For me, the best clumping litter is also the most dustiest of all of them. Scoop Away. It is great, but when you first pour it, it's a dust cloud. It's awful. But it does settle, after a few minutes. I have found it to be the best clumping stuff. I buy the 35 pounds, that has 2 boxes in one bigger box, and put the entire thing in a large rubbermaid container. This stuff goes the distance. It lasts longer than any other litter. I do also like Arm and Hammer, and then Tidy Cat, however, I don't like the Tidy Cat that has the glade air freshener in it, it is too overpowering, and my cats usually steer clear of the litter box I put that into, so I don't buy that particular one. But Tidy Cat clumps pretty good too. I have four litter boxes, so I am always experimenting with different types of litter, and for me, the Scoop Away is hands down the best at clumping. I even tried a bag of Dr. Elyese, and it was really good, but I still thought Scoop Away was better at clumping. The key is to scoop it every day (a must for my 4 cat 4 litter box household) and to keep it topped off so that it is about 4 inches deep. About once a week (or when it needs it), I wipe down the sides of the litter box. I scoop the litter to one side, wipe it down, and go around and do all the sides, and then I top them off with a little more litter. If I keep them topped and wiped and scooped, I only have to take them out and hose them out about once a month or so. I stagger when I have to do a complete change out, so I only have to do a couple at a time, because MAN is it exhausting having to house and and change 4 at a time, not to mention expensive! One of my cats has a room that only she goes in, so only she has access to that litter box, so it's smaller than the rest, which are giant rubbermaid containers, and that one is much easier to maintain.

I spend a FORTUNE on cat litter and canned cat food!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I like Arm & Hammer personally. I get the unscented kind and there isn't much dust and even with four cats it doesn't smell unless I let it get out of hand.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am using The World's Best Cat Litter as is what Sylvie was used to in her previous home. It is made from whole-kernal maize (corn) and is excellent in odour control and clumping. It is soft on a cat's feet and there is no dust. I had always used clay before but I really like the corn and wouldn't go back to clay even though it is a bit more expensive. (it is also biodegradable)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.