Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this kitten about 4 week ago, and my vet said her coat was rare, and that she wasn't sure what it was called, does anyone know?

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
What a beautiful kitten!
Yes, I do think it is unusual, and probably rare, but I would wait until the little one grows up before deciding how rare. :wink: Sometimes, black kittens will show their tabby markings and as they mature, their coat becomes all black and hides those markings.
I hope that doesn't happen with this kitten, that would be very striking! Take a look at the hair coat, part the hairs in the two different colored areas and see what differences you see. If the hair shafts are all one color from root to tip, the kitten may become all-over one color as it matures. But, if the two different colors show a difference, like one (the dark area) is solid from root to tip and the other (the lighter area) has different shading or bands of color, it may keep its distinctive markings as it matures.
Please, take lots of pictures and t us watch as this kitten grows up! I would love to see how it turns out!
Also, what have you named her? I'd love to call her 'mine'! :wink:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I believe the name for that coloring is Melanistic. At least that is what it is called in the bengal breed. Where did you get you kitten. If it were a bengal it would be a melanistic color with a marble pattern. In other breeds that would be a classic tabby pattern.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heidi n Q said:
What a beautiful kitten!
Yes, I do think it is unusual, and probably rare, but I would wait until the little one grows up before deciding how rare. :wink: Sometimes, black kittens will show their tabby markings and as they mature, their coat becomes all black and hides those markings.
I hope that doesn't happen with this kitten, that would be very striking! Take a look at the hair coat, part the hairs in the two different colored areas and see what differences you see. If the hair shafts are all one color from root to tip, the kitten may become all-over one color as it matures. But, if the two different colors show a difference, like one (the dark area) is solid from root to tip and the other (the lighter area) has different shading or bands of color, it may keep its distinctive markings as it matures.
Please, take lots of pictures and t us watch as this kitten grows up! I would love to see how it turns out!
Also, what have you named her? I'd love to call her 'mine'! :wink:
i call her Cocoa lol and the kitten behind her is also mine and shes called Oreo

·
Registered
878 Posts
When I look at that kitten all I can think of is a turtle. No, no, the one made of pecans and caramel, covered in chocolate. Yummy!

·
Registered
928 Posts
What a beautiful kitty! Can't wait to see pics of her when she grows up. :)

I have no ideas about the colour! (But like HersheysKiss said, I agree that the pattern is probably a classic tabby pattern... like my cat's coat pattern! :))

1 - 11 of 11 Posts