Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
The reticulated python. The first pic is not a retic, but you can get a general idea of size (they can get bigger), the second is to show the outrageously beautiful colors of this snake!

And the green anaconda!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Panda bears, and Polar Bears. If you have ever seen a polar bear swimming you'd understand how very graceful and beautiful they truly are, it's a sight to behold.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
You know.....the white tiger isn't a species, or even a breed. It's a common and unfortunate misconception. People like Siegfried and Roy want to breed them, but fail to tell people all they're doing is breeding in a genetic mutation (typically through inbreeding). :? Just so you know... :wink:

·
Registered
983 Posts
My favorite one is a Lioness.. not a lion, a lioness. They live in prides, have big communities and girls stay in the family as they grow older, i always found that endearing. Plus, they're the real hunters, are muscular and know what they're doing. The Lion is only there to protect the pride for 2-3 years while he has control of it before another lion(s) come along.

Picture below I actually had brown up for me and it's hanging on a wall in my room :p

·
Registered
368 Posts
spacemonkey said:
You know.....the white tiger isn't a species, or even a breed. It's a common and unfortunate misconception. People like Siegfried and Roy want to breed them, but fail to tell people all they're doing is breeding in a genetic mutation (typically through inbreeding). :? Just so you know... :wink:
Yup, I knew that one, but I still think they're beautiful. One of nature's better mistakes, if you ask me.... :D

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
kitty_kisses said:
spacemonkey said:
Yup, I knew that one, but I still think they're beautiful. One of nature's better mistakes, if you ask me.... :D
Yup, some stunning results from selective breeding and mutations:

I like this thread! (Can you tell I also like snakes? :wink:)

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Black Panther - I love the mixture of strength and the touch of mystery that the black adds to this beautiful feline. Of course, the fact that I admire a big black feline could go back to my first kitty love that was a black one. It gives me shivers to look at black kitties just because I had a very special bond with my little Negruta (Blackie)- and out of all my experiences (with kitties of all colors) they are the sweetest kitties - extremely friendly and pleasant. Naturally, I cannot say the same about their wild counterparts 8)
But back to the wild cats - the black panther emanates a much more of an exquisite elegance coming from the abrupt contrast of black against the background.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Heh. That too I find interesting, because the black panther likewise is not a species or even a breed :lol: They're unlike white tigers, in that the tiger's genetic mutation is actually very rare, must be aquired through some sort of inbreeding, and usually carries some unhealthy genetic traits. Black panthers are more common, more like a lucky genetic roll of the dice. I like this mutation as well :wink:

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I had no idea about those facts, spacemonkey - I hope the beauty of the panther certainly makes up for its unhealthy genetic traits. I will read up on that.

Ashdyre said:
The wolf. So beautiful and powerful, enigmatic, yet very misunderstood. :(
I love the wolf so much, too Ashydre!

I couldn't read White Fang again (all the tears flowing throughout the book, oh boy!) ...but I am happy I have.

Now that I think about it I like both the same - black panther and wolf
Handsome, isn't he?

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
I had no idea about those facts, spacemonkey - I hope the beauty of the panther certainly makes up for its unhealthy genetic traits. I will read up on that.
Well, because there isn't such an active breeding program for the black-coated jaguar as there is for the so call "white tiger", they do not suffere from many of the genetic defects. These variations (melanistic jaguar, albino tiger) do occur naturally in the wild, but their traits are not always passed on to their offspring, rather remain recessive, popping up every few generations. Luckily, as I said, the "black panthers" have been spared from people trying to re-create this mutation, so they remain a naturally unique beauty. :)

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
My favorites are also the big cats, lions, tigers, and perhaps most of all, the Black Panther!
I have always known that the black panther is a leopard, and was surprised to discover that jaguars also appear in a black color. I love the sleek body and the litheness of the black panther. In addition, I capitalized it the first time because my idolized big brother told us stories about the time he was The Black Panther! He caught bad guys in the jungle, you know. He could move so stealthily through the jungle the villains never saw him! He was Tarzan for a while also, but we never questioned the two identities! He was so great. We just sat with eyes glued on him as he told us about his adventures! How I miss him!

Did you know that at the top of this page, in the same sticky (same sticky, different post) as the Animal Rescue Site, you can "purchase" any of the endangered species, such as the snow leopard and the tiger, etc. as a gift? It's a wonderful gift for anyone who loves the species. My daughter "owns" a whale. It was a Christmas gift. It has distinctive markings, so that if my daughter is fortunate, she might be able to spot "her" whale when she goes whale-watching. This is a wonderful idea for Christmas or Hannukah! Or just because......

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Thank you for the additional info, Spacemonkey
:?: Are you an animal biologist or studying to become one?
I've been learning about animals since just about day one: my first word was "kitty" :D They're always something I've passionately been interested in, so ever since I began reading I've been constantly trying to learn more about them. At the moment, I am an undeclared college sophmore, but my friends, family, even my dental hygienist :lol:, thinks I should go into an animal-related field. So we'll see :roll:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts