1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Looks more like a Ragdoll than a Siamese mixed with a domestic cat.

Siamese has not that thick fur and the coloring on the grey kitten looks like a typical Ragdoll. Siamese are very slender and thin compared to these.

I checked Petfinder the other day and looked for Siamese and about 90% of the cats that they had there had NO Siamese blood in them at all. Some just had big ears and that was "siamese" while their eyes weren't blue or had the right coloring etc.

I think they put a "breed" on them to easier get rid of the cats. Which is sad when they turn out to not have any of the traits of that breed at all, either temperament nor looks.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Not all Siamese are thin like the new ones are, the "traditional" or "applehead" Siamese is what the breed looked like before it became popular to breed them so thin. Its very possible those kittens have some siamese in them, but they are mostly domestic short hair as the picture of their mom is of an all black cat.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Yes I know there's apple head siamese, but look at the coat on those kittens, they have an under coat, that's nothing a siamese have. Just because the eyes are blue doesn't mean they are siamese, there's many other breeds with blue eyes.

Here's a ragdoll kitten:

·
Registered
821 Posts
But they would have an undercoat if they were crossed with a domestic anyways....because domestics have undercoats. Unless they are pure Siamese, their fur won't be as thin and smooth as a Siamese.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I just wonder what you see that's siamese in those kittens. The face (even if it's an apple head the nose should be different), the fur, the body structure all tells it's another breed, or at least very little siamese which does not affect anything of the looks beside the blue eyes.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Mostly the points they have, the smude on the nose and ears, those usually foretell of at least some siamese background, even if its very distant.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hehe it doesn't really matter does it? All cats are beautiful no matter what breed. I just call Chaos my "Lynx Point Baby" or "Fancy Face" cause his face is so intricately marked :lol:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
No, it doesn't matter. The kittens there are so adorable I could eat them! But if you're looking for a cat with the Siamese traits (looks and temperament) then it's not sure you'll get that with those kittens. I'd take those furballs no quesions asked though!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Well the chances of that one being a Russian Blue is crap, I'd say. lol. And as Payge mentioned -- their mom is a domestic medium haired black cat with a white star, so...it's pretty obvious they aren't purebred. The kitties do look part siamese though -- the pointed ones will probably keep their blue eyes and the others' eyes will probably change color, and then you won't be able to tell their background. I found out that there are more siamese mixes walking the streets and shelters more than any other purebred mix though -- so chances are much lower that it is a ragdoll or birman mix. Sometimes mixes do keep the personality of the purebred though -- every siamese mix I've come across has been very vocal and active.

Shelters do that a lot though, yes. Grey cats are "russian blue," pointed cats are "siamese," and longhaired cats are "norwegian forest cats" or "maine coons." They just do that to sell them faster, or because they think they know what they are talking about. ;) Hopefully their heart is in the right place.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts