Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of cat is this? We were discussing genetics in my biology class and this type of cat came up as an example when talking about barr bodies. I was just curious as to what breed it was.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
No way to know for sure, but I'm with Gunterkat on his guess.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
greenfern said:
...this type of cat came up as an example when talking about barr bodies.
For those who don't know what barr bodies are:
Barr bodies:...in which sex is determined by the presence of the Y or X chromosome...
This cat was brought up in the discussion because it is a calico and calico cats are female. This [calico photo] is an excellent example of a sex-linked trait because it clearly defines the different colors she is carrying.
Males can be orange and they can be black, but they cannot carry orange and black at the same time like a female can. This is because the color is linked to the sex genes, specifically the 'X'; The female carries X and X, and each can be different (1-black 'o', 1-orange 'O') while the male carries X and Y and can only be black (o) or red (O).

The kitty in the picture is lovely. She could be a NFC or a MCC, but she could just as easily be a DLH (domestic long hair) of indeterminate breeding.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Yes, coloring is not breed specific, although some colors do not occur in certain breeds. For example, there are no Pointed colors in Maine Coons and Norwegian Forest Cats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts