Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started "extreme couponing" and I can get 10lbs of Tidy Cats regular litter for 77 cents along with very cheap or free food/treats. Do you think they would want this?

I mean, it's so cheap I'm basically going to buy it anyways and try to give it away but I would prefer to take it a rescue or shelter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In my experience, shelters will only take whatever particular brand of food that they decide to use, and some are picky about the litter as well.

If the shelters that you offer the stuff to won't take it, then I would suggest taking it to a food bank, salvation army, or maybe putting an ad up on Craigslist. There are a lot of people out there that would love a little help with their pets.

·
Super Moderator
26,809 Posts
Google donate cat food and you should get lots of hits for your area. Some sites will even tell you if they'll only accept certain brands.

You could also contact Meals-on-Wheels in your area, I think they would love some meals for their clients' pets.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm. I looked at a newsletter for the rescue I was looking at from last year and they needed "dry food" and "cat litter". I'll call to make sure but it looks like they will take whatever. If not, I'll definitely check out their suggestions.

If anyone is curious, there are Purina coupons in today's newspaper. They're for food and litter.

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
Call the shelter directly and find out. If they dont use that brand then check to see if your area has opened a community pet pantry.

Most rescues will take anything you donate so as to not offend you. The local No Kill shelter here does that. Then once a week donates it to the food bank. Our food bank will even take open bags of dog and cat food.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I've started "extreme couponing" and I can get 10lbs of Tidy Cats regular litter for 77 cents along with very cheap or free food/treats. Do you think they would want this?

I mean, it's so cheap I'm basically going to buy it anyways and try to give it away but I would prefer to take it a rescue or shelter.
this would be fun to try.. where one even start. local shelters here have been having food drives to get enough for the over population they have.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The shelter I volunteer at will take any litter and any canned food, but dry food they have a specific brand they use. If they go switching around dry we'll get diarrhea. If you go to the websites of some of the shelters in your area (you can find those using petfinder under the "find animal welfare groups" section on the left, just type in your location) and look at their wishlists, many will list the brands they want.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I checked a very large rescue where I live and they were specific on food, but not for treats. Litter did ask for non clumping.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I do the same thing when I get cheap/free food. My local shelter is not usually interested in what cheap stuff I get. They are subsidized and buy/receive their own items.

My local rescue groups are way more willing to take whatever I find. I usually give it to a local TNR lady who feeds it to strays/uses the litter for post op and sickly ferals she's caring for.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The rescue I adopted from(different from the one i posted earlier) and breed specific tends to work on a network of people that foster(rather than a central facility), so rescues like them may not be as strict on what donatiosn they accept. Different fosters may use different foods/litter. You could try that maybe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts