Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pan

• Walled (covered but no roofing)

What kind of litter box do you use?

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  OsnobunnieO 
#1 ·
i use an open pan, but i'm thinking about getting a covered one because my kitty loves to swipe the litter all over the place :oops:

#2 ·
Right now I scoop from a broken littermaid. :? I purchased their vinyl cover (approx $40). It's great because it goes all around the litterbox (top, sides, and bottom -- super easy cleaning and litter always stays inside of it), when I get around to buying a regular litterbox, I'm going to buy uncovered but put it inside of the littermaid vinyl cover.

#4 ·
I started using covered one for the same reason. It looks better in the room too.
I won't hesitate to get rid of the cover if I will notice any accidents. From what I have read in Dr Jean's posts, her experience says that covered ones may not be totally to our feline companions' liking. I cannot remember the exact reason.
So at the time being the top exists for the aestetic's sake. In oder to keep the tracking under control we have purchased a few of those fake grass like mats (which I shake, wash and desinfect at the same time I do their litterboxes - every 2 weeks )

#5 ·
A HUGE covered one, since we have two kittens that HAS to do everything in pair, we thought we better get a big one so they could be there both of them. Although they seem to just want company, so one sits outside and keep guard.

I'm glad we got a covered one because they really haven't gotten the idea of covering their poo properly. They scrape the walls with their paws, not IN the litter *giggles*. Well it's easier for me to scoop up, but yuck, it smells. :D

#7 ·
CyberPet said:
They scrape the walls with their paws, not IN the litter *giggles
Hahaha, my kitten does the same thing. She usually eventually turns around and tries from the other side, but she always brushes her paw on the side of the box and doesn't seem to realize that she's not scooping anything. She also sometimes sniffs around the carpet outside her box, and if she smells her scent, she'll start rubbing the carpet like she is trying to cover it up.

-Heather

#8 ·
I use an uncovered pan, but I think I may need a bigger one. he seems a little uncomfortable using it and tends to "scoop" from the outside of the box and wonder why nothing covers it up. so he ends up spending tons of time in it to make sure it all gets buried (usually at about 1 or 2 in the morning when I'm trying to sleep).
I also have a plastic grass type mat but no matter how I position it he won't use it. The box is under a desk in my bedroom (the only room he stays in most of the time) and he'll take his time and stretch all the way across the mat and not touch it at all. I'm afraid that if I buy another one and put them both in front so he has no choice, he'll stop using the box. Any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.