Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like almost anything. Good Charlotte, RHCP, Blink 182, Christian music, etc.
Mostly pop I guess
BUT I LOVE OLDIES!!!!! And the Beatles.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I listen to a lot. Not much of the "new" pop, though. I listen to Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, classical music, old brit-pop such as The Cure and The Mission, Blondie, Nine Inch Nails, 4 Non Blomdes etc. I listen to different kinds of music. However, I do not listen at heavy metal or christian music.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I like a huge variety of music. I think the greatest CD I have riught now is Nora Jones. That girl has talent. I can listen to that CD in any mood and it cheers me up. It's great with a bubble bath and some wine and candles and then it's also good when I'm upset or sad about something.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Hmmmm...

The White Stripes, The Strokes, The Hives, Joel Plaskett, Deathcab for Cutie, Starling, Built to Spill, Wilco, The Inbreds, Amon Tobin, Queens of the Stoneage, NIN. All over the board but centred in the Indie scene.

I really like Nora Jones too. A lot of guys are like "how gay" but the world needs more jazzy singers. I'm a big fan of Ella Fitzgerald too.

Then there's the whole other spectrum, cause I like classical as well.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hmm...

As far as rock goes: Sunny Day Real Estate, Porcupine Tree, OSI, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Tool, Pink Floyd, Alice in Chains, Radiohead, Muse, Sting, Rush, Rage Against the Machine, The Police...

The "uncatagorized" catagory: Tori Amos, The Cure, NIN, Michael Hedges, Loreena Mckennitt, Beastie Boys, Enya, Sarah McLaughlin, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Don Ross...

Some death metal: Opeth, Soilwork, In Flames..

I also like Duran Duran's 80's stuff and Madonna's older stuff too, hehe.

tanyuh

·
Registered
866 Posts
Oh - I second Pearl Jam, Soundgard, Tool, Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine and the Beastie Boys.

Other notable meantions go to Danko Jones, STP, and the Jon Spencer Blue Explosion.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Aye yeye yeye, I forgot about Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, I like them a lot too. Saw them here in Memphis a few years ago. I used to like STP a lot when I lived at home and could borrow my brother's CD's. Not that I don't like them now, I just don't have any of their music to listen to. I've downloaded a bit on Kazaa. OH! I also like Metallica all the way UP TO "Justice"...they turned to crap with the black album, yuck.

tanyuh

·
Registered
866 Posts
tanyuh said:
Aye yeye yeye, I forgot about Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, I like them a lot too. Saw them here in Memphis a few years ago. I used to like STP a lot when I lived at home and could borrow my brother's CD's. Not that I don't like them now, I just don't have any of their music to listen to. I've downloaded a bit on Kazaa. OH! I also like Metallica all the way UP TO "Justice"...they turned to crap with the black album, yuck.

tanyuh
Tell it sister...

Old school Metallica is awesome too.... More into indie stuff now but there's nothing like a good Metallica rock-out.

I'd love to see a real concert. I've seen Foo Fighters, Sloan, Smashing Pumpkins, OLP, Mighty Mighty Bosstones and a few other local bands outside for the concerts on Citadel Hill. No one inside really. Well - I saw Danko Jones in a bar and he rocked. And various other local guys I follow here in Halifax. Like Joel Plaskett.

This year's "concert on the hill" starred Nickelback and Default (aka Nickelback Jr.). Ewwwwww... (no offense - just not my style).

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Me either, blech. They are from Lethbridge, Alberta...about 3 hours from Calgary I think, so 4 hours from Banff where I grew up. Moving to Memphis sure gave me the chance to see some great shows though. I saw Tool here at a venue that holds maybe 500 people. It was insane. It was in Dec after Aenema was released (Oct 1996). Probably my favorite show. I saw them in Calgary at a 2000 people venue during their Undertow tour and that was great too. I saw them again in July 1998 and also last year some time for the new album tour. We don't get all the bands tho...Pearl Jam skipped here and went to Little Rock, Arkansas instead. (HAHA, I almost typed "Litterbox, Arkansas".) I can't wait till we move to Seattle and will get to see almost every band that comes to the U.S., or we can drive to Vancouver. Wee, it's gonna be great.. two more years tho.

tanyuh

·
Registered
866 Posts
Well - no one comes to Halifax....

no big people from the states come here - just ontario and west of that. Actually I was really surprised the Pumpkins played there. It was almost their last show ever.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Bean, I'm a classical musician, and I like jazz too. There has been a lot of influence on Twentieth Century classical music from jazz. And it gave rise to R&B, and all types of Rock, too. I really admire jazz musicians' ability to improvise. They're very artistic. My favorite music is classical, however.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an eclectic music taste. On my desk right now I have everything from Celtic instrumental to jazz, to rock, dance. I am not a big fan of rap, but I will give anything a try. Currently I am listening to a CD called Hits of the 80's.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I'm picky with rap - I like the mid-90's stuff. Dre, and Snoop is cool (so suave). I'm also into Jurassic 5 right now too. But considering my range it's a small percentage.

I HATE Mystical and Sean Paul.

·
Registered
328 Posts
tanyuh said:
Hmm...

As far as rock goes: Sunny Day Real Estate, Porcupine Tree, OSI, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Tool, Pink Floyd, Alice in Chains, Radiohead, Muse, Sting, Rush, Rage Against the Machine, The Police...

The "uncatagorized" catagory: Tori Amos, The Cure, NIN, Michael Hedges, Loreena Mckennitt, Beastie Boys, Enya, Sarah McLaughlin, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Don Ross...

Some death metal: Opeth, Soilwork, In Flames..

I also like Duran Duran's 80's stuff and Madonna's older stuff too, hehe.

tanyuh
Hehe... I have an 18-year old brother who likes pretty much all of those bands. I told him about your post and he said 'Wow, there's an Opeth fan on your cat forum?' :lol:
As for me, I suppose I'm more of a pop person. I've listened to Nelly Furtado's CD a lot recently. I like some classical as well, such as Gymnopedie by Satie... and lots of other pieces which I don't know the names of.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I listen to a huge variety of music from all ranges of rock to jazz and classical. My husband opened me more to black metal and blues (he listens to the Allman brothers a lot too which puzzles some of his metal buddies) also Lynard Skynard. I like Nora Jones too - she has something special about her - very simple . I also like Tool a lot which I am happy I have managed to see in concert..I wish they toured more. I like Foo Fighters too and Soundgarden and other bands as such.
I also like to listen to music performed by monks (not like the contemporary christian) and ancient sounds of music...There is something great and every style of music to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My favorites are 60's and 70's pop, I guess you'd call it. I love Paul McCartney!! :mrgreen: Also love the Beatles, Eric Clapton, Tom Petty, and Billy Joel. I also like Patsy Cline, Bob Wills, and George Strait.
I don't like rap or heavy metal type stuff, I tend to like "happy" music. LOL

·
Registered
43 Posts
I listen to a lot of classic rock/oldies, swing (old & new), classical, and some of the older country (Cash rules!).

Basically the only styles of music that I absolutely will NOT listen to are rap, new country, and all this new pop stuff (Brittany Spears, boy bands, or anyone else who runs around stage with a microphone headset on).

-Chelle

1 - 20 of 38 Posts