Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After Sumo passed away, we didn't have a warm and fuzzy about our regular vet and the way things were handled. So with our new kitten, Yoshi, we decided to find a new one.

I did some research, talked to other pet parents, etc about vets within a 20 mile radius of where we live.

Things that are important to me:

-A vet that knows the truth about pet food and how critical it is to an animal's health.

-A vet that won't push us to do things, but rather provides information and lets us make our own decisions.

-A vet that won't make us feel pressured to make any important decision on the spot.

-A vet that really dedicates their life to animals (ie it's more than just a job).

After several weeks of contemplating and research, I finally settled on a new vet for Yoshi to see. He went for the first time last weekend and I really left with a good feeling.

The vet I chose is open 7 days a week and the owner/doctor lives right next door to the office. They also have a full time dog/cat groomer, provide boarding services, dental cleaning services, and even offer home visits. All of the above makes me feel like they are really dedicated to animals.

During the visit the vet asked me what food we were feeding, so we got into a discussion about pet food. I mentioned that Yoshi had been fed Science Diet by the breeder and she (without me saying anything) stated that SD was basically junk and just full of corn. I couldn't have been more happy at that point. Finally, a vet that recognizes the facts! Further more, they sell a few good brands of pet food in their office (California Natural, Nature's Variety including raw). They also have a small section of SD, but it's the smallest section of all the foods and I don't think I've ever been into a vet's office and didn't see SD to be honest.
Additionally, she is against over-vaccinating.

And a funny note......when she saw Yoshi, she immiediatly picked him up and started kissing him! I have never had a vet actually KISS my cat! It was hilarious and cute. :p

I left feeling really good, after having a lot of anxiety about it.

So I figured I'd start a topic to find out, WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO YOU IN A VETERINARIAN? :?:

·
Registered
801 Posts
I wish I could find a vet that knows about pet food.... :[

·
Registered
51 Posts
You said she does house visits? I wonder if she would travel to Iowa? All the things you mentioned that are bad describe the vets here.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Sounds like you found a fantastic vet!

My rules for vets are basically the same as my rules for human doctors: Someone who won't treat me like an idiot or speak condescendingly to me and expect me to take their word as gospel without explanation. Someone who will be willing to discuss the reasons behind their decisions and explain anything to me as best they can so I can also feel confident about their choices. Someone who is patient and clearly seems to care about the animals they are seeing, rather than just trying to rush them out the door and get paid.

Basically all the things you mentioned as well.

I haven't spoken to the cats' regular vet about raw yet, although she was never pushy about any kind of food when we were discussing what to do about Athena's stomach problems. She seemed fine with what I was feeding them at the time (grain-free canned). And there's another vet who owns the practice who is pro-raw, which is nice. Both of them are also very conservative about vaccinations; recommending only what they feel is necessary or required by law.

·
Registered
422 Posts
It seems that at the animal hospital here we don't really choose who we see...we just bring the pets in and sit in a room till someone walks in.

Though right now I hope we don't get the vet that told us that Cassie was basically dying and that couldn't speak English very well(seriously, I made a comment on how she bites and he responded with 'Good job'). But I wish we had a vet that would listen to what I have to say when I go. Usually they only listen to my dad because I'm a 'kid'. (I'm 14 and probably know more about our two pets than my dad, brother and mom combined) I don't just go to tag along, I go to address the problems my pets might have.

·
Registered
801 Posts
It seems that at the animal hospital here we don't really choose who we see...we just bring the pets in and sit in a room till someone walks in.

Though right now I hope we don't get the vet that told us that Cassie was basically dying and that couldn't speak English very well(seriously, I made a comment on how she bites and he responded with 'Good job'). But I wish we had a vet that would listen to what I have to say when I go. Usually they only listen to my dad because I'm a 'kid'. (I'm 14 and probably know more about our two pets than my dad, brother and mom combined) I don't just go to tag along, I go to address the problems my pets might have.
Lol, can you imagine if he was actually just being sarcastic? XD

Anyways, good for you. I don't know that I knew more about health when I was your age, but I certainly knew more about behavior. "umm, dad.. the cat doesn't like that.." 'sure she does, she's wagging her tail' "......"

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I don't know that I knew more about health when I was your age, but I certainly knew more about behavior. "umm, dad.. the cat doesn't like that.." 'sure she does, she's wagging her tail' "......"
LOL!!

Thankfully, neither of my girls has had any significant health problems to date (touch wood), but so far I like my vet. When I'm concerned about something, I just call him. Sometimes he says I should bring the cat in, but most of the time, he tells me the sorts of things to keep an eye out for and says I should bring them in if/when I see those "warning signs", but otherwise there's likely nothing to worry about. And the next day, he or his tech call me to check up on the girls and make sure they're ok (he never charges for any of this). His clinic also offers 24-hour emergency service, grooming and boarding, and he maintains a website for his clients with all sorts of articles on medical issues, behavioral issues, etc. Finally, he's very patient with the girls and he is especially very gentle and patient with Muffs, because he knows she doesn't like to be handled.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts