Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question....my cousin and I are going to be hauling a steer to be butchered on Monday. Im going to ask the person doing the butchering if they could keep the liver & kidneys for me but was wondering what other organs can I use? Thankyou!! :D

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You can use everything. Spleen, pancreas, brain, heart, testicles, intestines. Heart does not provide the vitamins of other organs, not sure about brain. Just make sure to freeze everything for a while.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Don't forget the thymus, lungs, brain, tongue,and stomachs! Cleaning the stomachs won't be fun (though they are absolutely fascinating to look at), but they are soooo nutritious. Oh, and if you have dogs to whom you feed raw, ask for the trachea, too.

On my list above, only the thymus and brain are considered "other organs" (possibly the lungs, too, depending on who you ask), but all parts are well worth feeding.

Laurie

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Heart is fed as meat, not organ. :) It's a GREAT meat.

I just found a great source of "other" organs and unusual meats -- finally made it over to the "World Market," which is an Asian and Mexican grocery. It was a little 8O in there - not the cleanest store ever, with narrow aisles and families with 8 kids crowding them - but an interesting experience!

AND they had kidney (hard to get anywhere else around here), both beef and pork, and bull testicles (I passed on them mostly b/c they were a little pricey, which surprised me!), as well as pig stomachs (NOT tripe--and it didn't look bleached--may try that next time). They also had inexpensive beef heart, chicken hearts, and pork heart!

I also FINALLY got quail there -- hadn't been able to find it locally anywhere else -- and the cats are getting 1/2 quail now instead of their cornish game hen. They were 6 for 6.95, too!

So be sure to check out the Asian and Mexican groceries in your area! Prices are super and they have much more (inexpensive) variety. :)

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hoofmaiden said:
So be sure to check out the Asian and Mexican groceries in your area! Prices are super and they have much more (inexpensive) variety. :)
We checked all the Asian & Mexican groceries and none have the kidneys...Even asked about it to and none sell them. But we are getting the kidneys, liver, and heart from the steer. Wasn't too sure how much room we have for everything so I didn't want to get a whole lot!

·
Banned
952 Posts
Just throwing out there - brains and eyes are both high in Omega-3s. If I could get my hands on either of these on a regular basis, I surely would! :mrgreen:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts