Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What outdoor smells do you like, and which ones do you hate?

Ones I like:

Smell of creosote and other plants in the desert after it rains.
Smell of conifer trees.

Ones I hate:

The wet grassy springtime smell. Not only do I dislike it, but I usually have allergies that make me feel weird when that smell is in the air.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ones I like:

Summer: Fresh cut grass

Autumn: burning leaves

Winter: Icy cold after-dark winds *shivers*

can't think of one for spring

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I've never been one for the smell of fresh cut grass. Certain flowery spring time smells are nice, but overall I'm more of a winter person.

I love when its cold outside and you can smell all the fireplaces burning in homes :) makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I like the smell of fall...you know, leaves falling and woodsmoke from fires. :D

can't really think of smells I don't like....sulfer swamps :?:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I love it when it's freezing cold... and you can smell fire wood burning everywhere you go.

I also like that fresh cut grass smell in the springtime

I don't think I like any smells in the summer though... =/

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I love to smell roses, hyacinths, lilacs, and other fragrant flowers, and I love the smell of newly cut grass. I also like the smell right before a rain. I have always been able to smell "school," but I don't know what I'm smelling! When I was little I would tell my mother I could smell "school." and she understood. There must be a certain plant blooming in late August. I don't know! Strange- :)

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I love the smell of ozone - that fresh just before rain scent, damp dirt, woodfires, fresh cut grass, and at my relatives they had night blooming jasmine just outside the bedroom window - wonderful!

I don't like the smell of these beautiful, but incredibly stinky trees that were all over my high school campus - I forget what they were called, but they reeked!

·
Registered
179 Posts
The outdoor smell I hate the most is burning trees. There used to be burning leaves & trees all the time when I lived in Florida. I hate that smell & it gives me a headache.
The smell I love is summer. The mixture of warm weather, moist air, and fresh flowers all mixed into one.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I just remembered another one I hate... Bradford pear trees!!

We have them all over our neighborhood and they bloom really pretty white flowers that cover the tree... but the smell like dead fish!! I hate spring because of those stupid trees!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Jeanie said:
I love to smell roses, hyacinths, lilacs, and other fragrant flowers, and I love the smell of newly cut grass. I also like the smell right before a rain. I have always been able to smell "school," but I don't know what I'm smelling! When I was little I would tell my mother I could smell "school." and she understood. There must be a certain plant blooming in late August. I don't know! Strange- :)
Jeanie I know exactly what you are talking about! lol. I still to this day say things like "it smells like green" or when a little kid has been playing outside for a while and they come in the house, I think they smell "like the sun".

I knew it wasn't just me!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I love the smell of woodstoves burning on a chilly day in a crisp wind. Or fresh cut grass on a mild summer day. And the smell of rain or snow, right before it begins to fall. Oh, and there are 2 lilac trees infront of my house, and with all the windows open the breeze brings the smell of blooming lilacs into the house. I could sit on my porch and just inhale, I LOVE IT!

I wish this wasn't just outdoor smells, because my grandma's kitchen is one of my favourite smells in the world.

I can't really think of smells I hate...I was at the bus stop the other day and it smelled really rank, but I couldn't tell you waht the smell was, just that I did NOT enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I love the smells of burning leaves, campfires, a wood fire in our cottage fireplace, et cetera. I love the smell of rain, before, during, and after. Fresh cut grass is great too. The smell of a pine forest is fantastic, I can't get enough of it.

I love the smell of the lake... being on the boat taking in the sights and smells. I love the smell of the golf course, grass, trees, ponds, sand... it's a great mix.

I actually like the smell of a skunk (from a distance, or in passing when driving of course). It reminds me of the country, I grew up in the city, ie no skunks.

I love the smell of lilac bushes. My mom has two giant bushes in the yard, and in recent years has given parts of them to neighbors so they could plant them too. Our whole end of the neighborhood smells like Lilacs in the spring.

I don't like the smells of anything that pollutes. I have virtually no outdoor allergies so nothing else ever really gets to me.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
OsnobunnieO said:
I just remembered another one I hate... Bradford pear trees!!
We have them all over our neighborhood and they bloom really pretty white flowers that cover the tree... but the smell like dead fish!! I hate spring because of those stupid trees!
OMG, I looked them up! Those are the trees from my HS campus I mentioned earlier - beautiful, but boy do they reek!!! I hated those trees when they went on bloom!

jonsgirl said:
Jeanie said:
I have always been able to smell "school," but I don't know what I'm smelling! When I was little I would tell my mother I could smell "school." and she understood. There must be a certain plant blooming in late August. I don't know! Strange- :)
Jeanie I know exactly what you are talking about! lol. I still to this day say things like "it smells like green" or when a little kid has been playing outside for a while and they come in the house, I think they smell "like the sun".

I knew it wasn't just me!
I smell those things, too! All the time a smell reminds me of something, so I say it smells like that thing - it's the association, not the smell, I guess. I said I love the smell of moist/damp earth - I always think it smells like preschool, even though I now work at a preschool and don't get that smell, but it's still the association for me. Often I smell something, and it instantly makes me think of something not obviously related - that's why I love candles/incense, I guess, like music, scents invoke some feeling that goes so far beyond the obvious sensation of smell!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts