Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know, those "strict" rules you had when you decided you were going to go out and get a little furry friend?

Ours was absolutely, under no circumstances, is the cat allowed on the table...

This is how we're currently doing with that rule...

You walk into the living room and he's looking all cute sleeping like that, and you don't have the heart to take him off! And when we're at the table and you take him off and put him on the floor, he just jumps back up. When you ignore him he purrs in your face and sits in your food. He has a tower next to the table, but we don't sit on towers, so why should he?

He originally wasn't even supposed to sit in the chairs because he'd poke holes in them, but we gave up on that, because, well...

Can I haz some waffles?

He's a spoiled little brat who knows how to be cute! I know we can't be the only weak willed human puppets out there. Anyone else have cats who've bent the rules to better suit them? :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
No kitties on the kitchen island and counter was my number one rule. At least, you have one kitty. I got two kitties on my counter/tabke space all the time!!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Oh how adorable your kitty is! Lol! Love that face!

I've almost given up on the "no cats counter-surfing" rule. G is the only obstinate kitty that does this. But I think it's because he's curious to see what I'm going to do in the kitchen (food for him? Ha!), but he's the "jumper" of my two, and for sanitary reasons, it's important I keep him off as much as possible. Perhaps my next apartment I'll have a designated spot for him to perch on so he can still watch and not be in the way or near the stove while it's on. My current place doesn't allow such space...it's tiny!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have given up on every single rule. I try to enforce them....but 2 adults and 3 kittens...guess who wins every single time? I am about to sit on the floor to prepare and eat my dinner! At least there I won't have three little kittens poking their noses in because THEY will be on the counter/table!

·
Premium Member
7,854 Posts
All my cats are good about the counters, but I cannot leave them off the table so I stopped trying - except at mealtime. NO CATS ON THE TABLE AT MEAL TIME!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Meal time is the worst time D: He's taken to jumping on the table and then when I go to get him off or away from my plate, he'll jump down on my lap and start purring, little brat.

He's good about counters. Every now and then you start walking out into the kitchen and you hear a the thunk of him jumping off before you get into the kitchen, so you only catch him sitting by the counter staring at you.

Haha I have a hard enough time keeping track of one!

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
RULES?? There were supposed to be...Rules?:eek::p:D

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I just close off doors since I can't enforce rules. I just try to work around their rules. The one I want to keep is they have to come in at dark and that is challenging enough. Then they go nuts until they finally go to sleep.

·
Registered
200 Posts
"No cats on counters/tables" was the first to go. And "never feed cats in the morning" (so they wouldn't try and wake us for food) was done as soon as we started feeding canned food. "No cats in the bedroom" was vetoed pretty quickly when they yowled outside our door all night.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
My rules are "kitchen, our bedrooms, toilet are out of bound" and it stays closed all the time till now. I kept the bedrooms closed cos of my asthma, the kitchen and toilet closed cos of the many dangers of breakable items and toilet cleaning solution.

I used double sided tape on table tops, but I have since removed it, but ET is a good boy, he hardly get up there, cos I am hardly at our dining table, we eat inside the kitchen. The dining table has turned into hubby's work top, so ET isn't too interested.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My cats were not supposed to be allowed on the table or counters. All four of them go on the table and it's nearly impossible to keep them off. Luckily, Xena is the only real jumper, so she is the only one that occasionally goes on the counter (at least in front of us).

The cats were not supposed to come into our bedroom because I wanted one room where there was little cat hair and where I could put things that weren't "cat friendly." We successfully kept them out for more than a year, but when we got a fourth cat we felt that the cats just needed more territory.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
My son and his wife adopted a cat and she was not supposed to go in the bedroom. That was the rule. Talking to her the other day she told me that Kiki now sleeps on their bed. The rule lasted a solid three weeks. Kiki 1, my son and wife 0! ��

·
Banned
243 Posts
Artie was supposed to stay out of my room---lasted 3 days!!!!
Artie should stay off the dining room table, that rule gone!
Artie not allowed on kitchen counters---He jumps up sometimes when he does not like the food I give him, he searches for different food!!
Artie is not allowed on entertainment center----guess who wake me up at night, throwing figurines down from there??
Artie not allowed under my bedsheets----he 'helps' me 'make the bed'!

Seriously, there are no rules when you have a cat..only the ones you think you have...
Just like cat fur does not go everywhere; until you have found yourself with a mouthful of fur!
joys of sharing your life with a cat!

·
Registered
836 Posts
No cats on the table! ...was that a rule at some point? I feel it must have been, but I just don't remember. No cats on the table--during meal times! I think that was also a rule at one time or another. Hmmm.

This, by the way, is our table: Emily @dt8thd | Websta (Webstagram)

We flip our tablecloth every other day and wash it every four days to try to limit the amount of cat hair we ingest along with our food. :roll:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts