Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a new pekingese doggy and im not sure what flea and tick product to use on him that will be safe if he comes into contact with my cats and infant son. the cats are indoor only and i will not be applying anything on them just the dog. the vet told me to use advantix but after reading about it and its dangers to cats if they groom the dog after being treated im not sure now what to use. i read about neem? its supposed to be all natural but not sure if it will be effective.
please if anyone knows a flea and tick product that i can use safely around cats and my infant please tell me :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Advantix seems like some strong stuff since it kills fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. I would be worried about using this too. I would suggest using frontline since it's safe on both cats and dogs. It's even approved for kittens and puppies. So this even assures me that it should be safe around your baby. This product will kill fleas and ticks. I've used this product on both my cat and dogs. The flea population went way down in one day and completely gone the next. Although, I only use this when a problem starts developing. I'm just not comfortable with using this on a montly basis and it's expensive.

Here is the website on frontline: http://frontline.us.merial.com/

·
Registered
676 Posts
We have meetings with the Advantix and Advantage reps monthly. Advantix is fine to use for dogs, and it's safe for use in a house hold with cats, so long as they basically don't lick it directly off the dog right after application. So if you just keep keep them seperated until it dries (over night) or if your cat and dog don't normally chill out close enough together for it to matter then there is no worries.

Personally however, I like Revolution, Frontline and Advantage. I have used all of them, and I like them. Frontline does fleas, and ticks, Advantage just does Flea's and flea eggs, but will work faster.
And if you don't need tick protection, there's no need to get tick preventive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts