Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've heard mixed suggestions, so your help would be appreciated.

First, about my cat:
My cat is highly social and extremely inquisitive. She always wants to know what I'm up to and doesn't even let me use the bathroom without meowing outside the door most of the time. She is full of energy and likes to play, but seldom is capable of playing by herself. She craves interaction and attention most of the time. Whenever company comes, whether she knows them or not, she is at the door trying to figure out who they are, sniffing at their shoes, and following around. I know a lot of cats will just bolt and hide, but not her. Sometimes she will hide for a moment if she is overstimulated or there is too much going on, but she always comes out a minute later.

When I go on vacation, my parents have kindly said they would be willing to look after the cat for me at their place (we live in the same city). This seems like the preferred choice, as there will be lots of interesting things happening over at their place and she would get the interaction she seems to need. She would also get to enjoy a more regular feeding schedule, as I feed her 4 times a day, and no way is anybody coming to my place four times a day for feedings.

However, I have heard it is traumatic for cats to move to new surroundings. I don't want to stress her out too much, but this seems more ideal than leaving her at my place for a week with only a daily visit from someone and a few minutes of interaction, but at least she knows the house.

I don't have much experience moving her around, so I don't really know how she handles change. The only place I've moved her is to the vets. She hates the car ride, and usually meows sadly the whole drive. Once she is at the vets however, she seems back to her old self, and just sniffs around in the room and looks around a lot and is very curious.

So what do you recommend? I was thinking of taking her to my parents one day just for a visit, to see if she can handle the new surroundings alright, but your advice is appreciated.

Secondary question: Can anyone recommend a good cat toy - maybe something robotic or mobile that she can chase around for an extended period of time? I don't mind playing with her, but I alone can't satisfy her hunting instincts.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
I used to go on frequent business trips and when I first got Samantha I took her to the office to live with the office cat, the girls in the office loved her but she didn't get on with Matty the office cat and was furious with me when I came to take her home, she took one look and me and ran and hid in the sample racks.
After that I always left her at home and I had friends and co-workers come by several times a day, I bribed my friend Lance with food and beer to come by in the evening and spend time with her.

·
Super Moderator
27,274 Posts
It sounds like your cat is highly interactive and would do better at your parent's house. I would take her there for the day and see how she responds, but it definitely sounds like that would be the best choice.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
You cat sounds outgoing and confident and I wouldn't hesitate taking her to your parents, but a couple of visits to them beforehand would likely make her feel right at home when you go on vacation. I'm sure your cat will enjoy the new surroundings to explore.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Secondary question: Can anyone recommend a good cat toy - maybe something robotic or mobile that she can chase around for an extended period of time? I don't mind playing with her, but I alone can't satisfy her hunting instincts.

Josie really enjoys the
toy. She never uses the scratcher part of it, but spends a lot of time chasing the ball around. I like it because I can play with her, but she can also do it alone. There are a couple of videos in the reviews section on the Amazon page... fun to watch.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi LadyK.
I agree with the others. You should take her to your parents home. Take her for a visit first that way it won't be a completely foreign place for her. I think she will settle in fine. And you'll know she's safe and well taken care of.
Lucy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone!

And as for that toy, she has one! The ball lights up different colors. She plays with it once in a while, but not too often. I may have to take it away from her so she gets excited about it. I was hoping for some sort of mobile mouse or something that runs around by itself.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.