Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This my my friends email to me. I helped her to get these cats fixed a few months back. She truly does care about them but just bought a house and will be moving and is not sure what the best move is...

"Chris and I are moving in two weeks. We feed our two outdoor kitties everyday and I am afraid that they are dependent on us. We love the kitties so much, but don't know what we should do in this situation, so I was hoping you may have some advice! There are a lot of animals here and empty lots that they live in. This is their home and they are comfortable living here. If we moved them to our new house I am afraid they will get scared and run away. There is no empty lot next to the house and there is a fence in the back yard. If we move and leave them here, will they be able to survive?! I keep thinking I need to ween them off the food, but every morning and evening they are at the sliding glass door and I can't resist!

I am so torn, what do you think?!"

Please give me your opinions because I honestly think this is a tough call. I would try to take them with me (They are pretty feral... I think it would be hard for her to trap them unless she had those TNR traps again). But they have lived in the same place forever and might freak out. Any advice?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Moving experience

If your friend has the time required to resocialize them, I would take the cats with her to the new house. Depending upon the age of the cats, any prior history with humans (good, bad, indifferent), and how long they have lived on the streets, this will be a quick or slow process--but ultimately hugely rewarding.
Is your friend able to pet them? Sit with them as they feed? I'm actually surprised there are only two; where I live, the number in my colony is unfortunately growing as word gets around that there is always food in "Cindy's Restaurant". (More TNRing taking place next Thursday.)
Hunger will win out over fear; so I don't think it will be impossible to trap the cats. At the very least, I would get them spayed/neutered and vaccinated. You can often borrow traps from humane society/SPCA.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
she has already done the TNR program... about 2 months ago. So she is familiar with traps and yes she had to use them to catch these cats. I think there are plenty of other cats in the neighborhood but these two she started feeding as kittens and are therefore somewhat friendlier and think they "belong" to her (they don't run away instantly when they see her like the others do). She considers these HER outside cats.... but not ALL the other ferals. I told her that I think she should take these 2 and that when they are hungry enough they will come around for food. I think she is going to. She said she knows someone who has cat traps.

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts