Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently our new landlady wants one but I have no idea what it is and what she can find out. I've always been credit checked when moving before so this is a new one on me.

Any ideas? i'm not concerned, just curious :lol:

·
Super Moderator
26,432 Posts
http://www.insolvencyhelpline.co.uk/cas ... worthy.php

3. Bank References
As part of the account opening process, encourage your clients to use a credit application form which highlights that bank references may be requested. Bank references can be a useful credit-vetting tool when starting a new trading relationship with a customer.

A bank reference, known within banks as a ‘status enquiry’, is a bank’s opinion as to the ability of one of its customers to meet a specific financial commitment. A bank will only give a reference if it has the written permission of its customer and normally require a new authority to reply to each and every enquiry. There is a fee for providing references which is typically met by the party making the enquiry.

As a note of caution tell your client that the bank will base its reply on its knowledge of the financial standing of the customer and may also stipulate that they should not rely solely on the bank’s reply when making their decision. Banks use only standard phrases (e.g. 'undoubted for your figures’, ‘respectable and good for your figures’, ‘customer not known to us for long’, 'capital/resources fully employed', 'cannot speak for your figures' etc.). Anything less than 'good for your figures' is a guarded warning.

Bank references should be used only for small value decisions or to support other reports. Remember that a bank's loyalty is to its customer, not the enquirer.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, fair enough. I cant remember the last time I had to dip into my overdraft so should be ok. I guess. The rent is quite a lot more than what I am presently paying but I have a number of unnecessary expenses I can deal with.

·
Super Moderator
26,432 Posts
Seems a bit excessive to me. Don't they have credit checks over there? You can just get a list of a person's outstanding - or good - credit.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
marie73 said:
Seems a bit excessive to me. Don't they have credit checks over there? You can just get a list of a person's outstanding - or good - credit.
We do and i have always had credit checks done before when i have moved.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
during my last re-fi I had to get something similar from my bank. They called it a "proof of funds" voucher or something like that. I didn't much understand it at the time but my mortgage dude went to the bank with me and talked to the manager. :?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts