Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 5 cats I've been looking after here. They were pretty much wild to begin with, but I got them tamed down enough to like me. They're still a little skittish with other people, but in a way I'm happy with that since this isn't a cat friendly neighborhood.

There is one feral male who even looks mean when you see him. He's very afraid of me, and my cats are very afraid of him. There was a sixth cat that I was taking care of for a while there, but something killed him behind my house one night. I believe it was that feral male.

What should I do about this cat? I don't want to put food out for him if he's going to fight my other cats for it. My big male comes home with big scratches on him all the time. I've been keeping my kitten male inside mostly until I get him fixed at the end of the month. He doesn't like that. They're outside cats and that's where they want to be. Well, unless it's really cold. Then they want to come inside and sleep on the electric blanket...

What would you do in this situation? I've never had something like this happen before so I don't know the best way to handle it. I don't know if the shelter would want him, but taking him there would be a death sentence, most likely.

·
Banned
470 Posts
They're outside cats just because they are used to that IMO. Once they become accustomed to being indoors, they will likely be skittish about heading outside. For the kittens own safety with all the dogs, automobiles, poisons, feral toms, weirdos, and for consideration of wildlife at risk in the area I'd highly recommend keeping it indoors permanently if at all possible. :)

For the feral male, personally I would try to trap him and bring him to a low-cost neuter facility and then release him. They are $30 to $35 here.

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
I agree with Ducman. TNR is the best option---for all the ferals. In the feral forum there is a sticky re an organization that will give you low cost spaying and neutering. That's the very best thing you can do for all of the ferals. Having kittens repeatedly adds to the problem and takes years from their already short lives. Don't release them in a different area. They don't do well. Thank you for feeding them and caring! You can usually borrow traps from the Humane Society. Good luck!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I've thought about TNR but I'm unemployed and cash is getting tight. Might just have to pony up anyway for the safety of everybody involved.

I'm slowly getting the cats used to staying in. The colder weather makes that a little easier, of course. I'm not sure how it's going to work out. There are 5 of them and this place ain't a mansion!

Do you think getting him neutered will cut down on the aggression enough that he won't try to kill my cats? Even if he just has an aggressive personality?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with Ducman. TNR is the best option---for all the ferals. In the feral forum there is a sticky re an organization that will give you low cost spaying and neutering. That's the very best thing you can do for all of the ferals. Having kittens repeatedly adds to the problem and takes years from their already short lives. Don't release them in a different area. They don't do well. Thank you for feeding them and caring! You can usually borrow traps from the Humane Society. Good luck!
Of the 5 I take care of, 3 are fixed and 2 are kittens who are just now ready to be fixed. That one tough guy is the thorn. He seems smart too. I hope he doesn't already know his way around a trap.

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
I would cover the trap with a cloth that blends with the bushes or wherever you put it. And a strong fishy smell will often tempt the most wary cat. It's best to set the trap in the morning, and take the cat right to the vet...or organization. If you don't feed him the day before, he'll be good and hungry! Good luck!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would cover the trap with a cloth that blends with the bushes or wherever you put it. And a strong fishy smell will often tempt the most wary cat. It's best to set the trap in the morning, and take the cat right to the vet...or organization. If you don't feed him the day before, he'll be good and hungry! Good luck!
Ok, thanks for the tips. I can get some camouflage material that's waterproof. That would work well to put over the trap.

Is it safe for him to go back out after the surgery? The clinic I go through keeps them overnight, but after that I have nowhere safe or warm to put him. I can't bring him in, that's for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts