Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you know the story of Calvin (aka Jesse), the neighbor's cat.

Well, what seemed to be concerned pet owners has turned out to be quite the opposite. For the last couple of weeks, Calvin has been wandering the neighborhood. He keeps coming to the house to see us. The neighbor next door said he was over there crying to get in their house.

Last night when I got home at 11, I saw him wandering through a yard and called him. He came bounding over to me and flopped on the ground for attention. Upon further inspection, he now has a tick and his coat is losing it's softness. He's also very hungry every time he comes over. So we brought him in last night for awhile - fed him and gave him attention.

My question is, what can we do at this point? Obviously his family doesn't care, and I hate seeing him out like this. He's such an affectionate cat, and he deserves better.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I would imagine that having been an outdoor cat, he would not be content with you keeping him inside. But I guess I would just begin taking care of him as if he were your own. Chances are he may choose not go back "home".

If you need to get him any form of treatment, hold on to the paperwork in case the owners every try to claim him, and you have proof that you have been caring for him when they were not. If nothing else, requiring them to reimburse you for the bill if they want him back will give you an indication of how much they really care. If you truly want to keep him, build your case.

After all, you want to do what's best for Calvin because his owners apparently are not. :(

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haven't seen him in about 5 days. We had some nasty rainstorms last weekend, so I hope he made it through them ok. I'm hoping he's at home safe with his family and that that's why he hasn't been by.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I hope so too.

Keep us updated, I'm interested to hear if he comes back and what you intend to do. It's a sticky situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts