Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We moved about year and a half ago. We have had our boys since they were 6weeks old, they are now 7. They have dog like personalities. Very affectionate both with their own type of personality. belly rubs, going for walks etc...
But like children, pets seem to be no different - Willy has become incredibly attached to the wife, where Loki to me.

I work maintence so usually in the building we live at, so coming home in between jobs was the norm. However recently, they sold our building, but we stayed, I was assigned to other buildings. and of course, that took me away from Loki. Both of us love our boys deeply (too much probably), however the wife does favor willy, but loves Loki just the same. It is unavoidable.

I noticed Loki has become withdrawn. Stays in the den (it was the few rooms we kept identical to the old place of their 6yrs, with the master bedroom being pretty close layout as well). He howls at me to come in the den, and when I don't, he stands outside of it, if he cannot see me, he will come closer to the living room and then sit, and make a crying noise, until I come to the den.

I feel that with me gone all day now, and the move (which I believe why he stays there a lot), has made him "homesick" both for me and where we used to live which was smaller - 800sqft, Our place now is 1,500sqrft.

I've asked the wife to help make him feel included with her and wille, and she really tries, but Loki does'nt seem interested.

What can I do to keep Loki's spirits up? Even before I got switched to different properties, he was already camping in the den, so that made me feel that he misses "home".

Both of us feel very sad for him, I especially as my main property is 20miles away. so coming home on a whim is just not practical.

Its awful to see him like this. He is eating good, keeps me up at night like normal, bathroom is normal, he just seems to "exist"

Any suggestions greatly welcome!!

PS, willie is more open, he is the type that eats when he is happy, sad, bored, upset etc.. and after this move he has gained a lot of weight. I know moves are stressful on pets, and more so with cats.

pss 2019 Loki has almost all his teeth pulled - a two day nightmare for him at the vets. worse for me with him not being home. However, he seemed to conquer that as well. he is tough. But with vet, moving then me gone almsot 8-11hrs a day.....

help

·
Registered
22 Posts
Maybe the video Moving with your Cat and the comments below will give you some tips?
The only other thought is having a special place where you two spend special time together when you're home like in the lounge room, still part of the main living area, but in a corner with a toy he likes that you two can play with. I make little tents and then poke a stick toy through - they hunt it to varying degrees but love the "together play".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts