Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 3 months I'll be moving back to my parents. I have two cats, (18 months and 2.5 years) and at my parents there is Bruno who's 19 and quite frail.

He's always been very territorial, the only cat he was friendly with was his brother who died a few years ago.

I can't get rid of my cats, but I can't see how this can be anything but bad for Bruno. What can I do?

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
If Bruno has a couple of favorite rooms he likes to hang out in, I think it would be better to get him used to being more confined to one that you can close the door. At 19 yrs., he is getting to the end of his road, and likely spends most of his day sleeping, and he should be allowed to live out his remaining days in peace without the stress of trying to adapt to two young cats in his territory. I wouldn't even bother with introductions in your case.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I agree with catloverami. I bet Bruno spends almost all of his time in one spot, sleeping. So maybe you could put your cats up on a room and only let them out when Bruno is up and can be closed in his favorite place. If you are only going to be with your parents temporarily, I bet this could work just fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well he likes the two bottom rooms of the house and uses the cat flap. It's a toughie, I just want to make sure bruno is ok

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I don't know how but I agree that Bruno deserves the respect and priority of a peaceful end of life. You can install screen doors, put a cat flap elsewhere if needed. I can't figure it out but please try to figure it out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to take them with me to my parents. I'll do it one at a time, I'll do my best to ensure it's all done as slowly as possible etc. because:
1. Bruno deserves to live his last year(s) in peace and without stress.
2. I can't lose my 2 cats, but I also can't find anywhere they can stay as I have no idea how long I'll need them to stay for.

I need to do what's right by Bruno, but also Lily and Rory. It's going to be tough, but I'll do everything I can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts