Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hubby and I have been planning on getting a new cat this year, we've been browsing online but no serious searching just yet. We were going to wait a few months until we move. He wants to get an all black cat and I've had my heart set on getting another cat friendly adult as it usually takes them longer than the kittens to get homes. BUT today we were driving home from shopping and stopped into a little pet store just because I like to look around in them. They have 5 rescue kittens. We were playing with them in their cage for so long. I questioned the owner as to where they were rescued from, how much are they, where do they get de-sexed when they're older? Three of the 5 are black boys. All ADORABLE. Hubby loves them just as much as me and he agreed to getting one - he even has a name picked out. I left the shop saying "We'll need to go home and get a cage to take one home in, we can't just bring it home without a carry cage". Who am I kidding? He so could have held one of those little cute monsters for the less than 10 minute drive home.. I'm just so torn. It goes against what I've wanted.
a) It's a kitten, everyone wants a kitten - they'd probably find homes pretty easily, right? But I know a kitten will be so much easier to intro than an adult..
b) It's a Pet Shop and I am so against pet shop pets. That being said, they are from the Animal Welfare League and come with first vaccination, microchip and de-sexing voucher so really with all that being done, I very much doubt the shop is making much money from them. And apart from those rescue kittens, they only sell some rabbits, guinea pigs, birds and fish. They don't sell other kittens or puppies. They're a small private owned pet shop, not one of the big dodgy chain ones that will sell anything for a ridiculous price just to make money. BUT THEY'RE STILL A PET SHOP and this sticks in my mind.

ARGH. What would everyone do?

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
they are from the Animal Welfare League and come with first vaccination, microchip and de-sexing voucher so really with all that being done, I very much doubt the shop is making much money from them. And apart from those rescue kittens, they only sell some rabbits, guinea pigs, birds and fish. They don't sell other kittens or puppies

ARGH. What would everyone do?
They're not from the pet store. They're being shown by a rescue group. It's just like Petco or PetSmart. If you're feeling the kitten, by all means, go adopt him. Sounds like your husband is already in love. And remember, we want pictures. :wink

·
Registered
273 Posts
^^ i third the motion

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
I think if you're going to adopt a kitten, you should take two. Seriously. They will bug the crap out of your adult cats, wanting to play 24/7. I can't imagine if I'd only adopted one of the twins.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We just went back and adopted one of them. We'd narrowed it down to two and it was very hard to decide between the two - I did joke about taking them both but we're not really up for 4 cats right now.
I can see where you're coming from Marie and I would LOVE to watch and be amused by two little monsters but I'm just really hoping that him and Sammy will hit it off. The reason we got a boy was cos we're hoping he'll rough play with Sammy - Sammy drives Meeka mad with his rough play so I'm hoping once he's big enough, they'll all get along well together. I'm going to take the intro slowly and fingers crossed it all goes well. I know things could go totally not to 'plan' but I'm hoping cos he's so young, it will be okay in the long term.
His picture is here
http://www.catforum.com/forum/41-meet-my-kitty/150999-meet-jett.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
My Matti came from a similar situation and has been an incredible joy. Good luck and congratulations with your new kitten!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Congrats on your kitten!

I prefer rescued cats too, but honestly all cats deserve a happy home with a loving owner. Enjoy the experience!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts