Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

Fred is the brightest cat I have ever met - which is wonderful, but also presents challenges. I have grown up with many cats, but Fred is really unusual - extremely like a dog.

For example, when it is time to get up I say "time to use the restroom" and he heads to his, I head to mine, and we meet at the top of the stairs and go down together.

When I say time to go to grandma's house or "take a trip" he goes to his crate and sits in it so I can zip it up.

Among the words he knows are; upstairs, downstairs, and refrigerator, and the command "go to bed" (my bed). He also knows the word "work" and starts to talk whenever he hears it (stay, Mom stay!!). It's to the point where anyone who visits knows to avoid the "W" word.

Currently when I get home from work I play fetch with him for about an hour and then work on a new command for him to learn.

However, he does still have a tendency to get bored and I feel I should do more to keep him occupied. He doesn't get destructive he just seems to always be looking for a job to do, and perks up when it is time to learn something new. I would appreciate any tips from anyone who has had a similar experience. While my other cats were all lovely, none were Fred bright. Sadly I cannot get him a playmate at this time - apartment has a one cat limitation.

Should I try clicker training?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Wow, he's very clever!

I wanted to clicker train Milky too until I thought, why not try teaching him things without using a clicker first and see if it works. Now Milky knows sit, hand, shake, stand, lie down, stay, kiss (which is really bumping noses and licking!) I was trying to teach him to roll over the other day but he doesn't really like being on his back so I'm not going to make him to learn that.

Try teaching Fred stuff by having a handful of snacks ready and giving him a piece when he gets it right. After a few times getting the snack he'll understand the command.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Clicker training is great! Ninja loves it. Just be careful when you train him. Ninja likes to "offer" his behaviors when they haven't been asked for. So, don't teach him anything you dont' want him doing on his own. Like turning lights off and on or opening doors. I speak from experience.

·
Registered
388 Posts
How do you begin with "stay"?
I didn't actually purposely teach him "stay", but he sort of learnt it accidentally! One time he was trying to get into the kitchen and the floor was dirty so I didn't want him going inside, I put my hand out to halt him like a traffic warden and he just stopped. Then after that, I tried it a few more times and he just sort of knew what it meant, so he just waits for me on the spot! I didn't even give him any treats then...

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Fred sounds like quite a cat and you are lucky to have each other. It would be a shame for him to live in a household that didn't appreciate his talents. I don't have any advise for you, I thought Scottie was smart and all he does is open doors.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Is that Fred in the pic on your left?

Colorpoint Siamese or Oriental? I have a CPS and she's smarter than most people I meet. And more talkative.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yes, training is excellent bonding for a cat,and as you have mentioned he really seems to like it.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
You could try more complex play like hide and seek, or even interactive toys made for dogs (brain teasers). It might be fun for both of you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone so much for your tips and advice. It seems like there are a lot of smart cats on this forum!

I LOVE that he is smart. Yes, it can be challenging, but I wouldn't trade my tail wagging, fetch playing, language learning fabulous Fred for all the world.

Dave_ph - yep that's Fred he is a blue point Siamese.

I do recommend anyone thinking about getting a Siamese seriously consider the time and attention they require first. If you want an "aloof" or low maintenance pet I don't think they are the breed for you :wink:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had a cat that was half Siamese and half Maine ****. He was the result of an accidental breeding. I had the same problem of finding new games for him to play. One of the games that he never seemed to tire of was me hiding his favorite toy before I went to work. It didn't matter where I hid it he would always find it and leave it just inside the door.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts