Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to know what everyone is doing to contain the bad litter smell. I have 2 kitten using the same litter box and the smell that comes out of there is unbelievable. We clean it every day. Any advice any idea? We are currently using the clumping litter (Max scoop) Any better out there. I know it's not the cheap stuff, I just hate coming home to a home that smells like [email protected]*#t.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Get another box. That is the best advice I can give! It is better to have one box per cat. I have 2 cats, and it works for me. Also, you could try sprinkling Arm & Hammer Litter Box Deoderizer in the box after every cleaning.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I love my litter, it's FreshMagic crystals and they do not smell, ever. They wisk the wet pee away into the crystals, and dry out the poo within minutes, I never smell either one, and the box is in a very prominent place, between my bedroom and bathroom. The way it works is that you dont' clean the pee, it just soaks up, the poo dries out and then you scoop it out. I scoop out #2 after everytime he goes, but even if i only cleaned once in 24 hours, it woudl still NEVER smell. http://www.freshmagic.com/ :p

I think a better litter will help. Crystal/sillica litter is expensive relative to store brands out there, but if you have this problem it maybe a solution for you. I personally hate strong smells of any sort, but this product is a godsend. 8)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Rarepuss, does the crystal stuff crackle when he pees? The only crystal stuff I could fing in the UK cracked like popping candy when poor Cleveland went. what a fright the little fella got.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Misty said:
Rarepuss, does the crystal stuff crackle when he pees? The only crystal stuff I could fing in the UK cracked like popping candy when poor Cleveland went. what a fright the little fella got.
No, there's no crackling noise. There's noise when he steps over the crystals, but only on the chunky style, the round style is quiet. We like chunky because it doesn't roll around when he gets out of the litter box.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If I find that mine is getting a bit smelly I simply mix in some baking soda.
I find that helps.

I usually use clumping litter, but right now we have a new kitten so we are using non-clumping litter, there is definetly a big smell difference noticeable when I am cleaning the box....from the urin I guess.

I also use vinegar! I actually have this in the bathroom (where the litter box is) and out bedroom and eating area. I have a small bowel where I have some nice smelling spice like ginger, or cinnamon etc mixed with white vinegar. It deodarizes the air naturally. They of course are all up high so kitties can't get them...although I don't think they would like the smell if they somehow found it!

I also have spray bottle with a vinegar/water mix that I will lightly spray in the air in the bathroom if they just did a big stinky, and it clears it right up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts