Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I told you guys a few days ago about that we moved 2 blocks away and I was afraid that Zeke would NOT come to the new address. Everything is fine with Zeke he shows up around 6:00 pm every night.

Zeke was a feral cat that we rescued about 2 years ago.

Another cat, (Double), we call him that because he looks like our indoor cat who never goes out. He was also a feral cat that took about 2 months for him to even trust me. He has been around for about 4 months,

I have NOT yet brought him to the new address. I can't keep going to the old address and feeding him. The reason I have not brought him to the new address is because Zeke does NOT like him.

Zeke really seems depressed when he is around and stays away from the house for longer intervals.

I also don't want Double starving like he was when he came into our lives.

He is VERY aggressive towards other people so I don't think he could ever be adopted.

What would you guys do?

Larry

·
Registered
786 Posts
Is there anyway you can integrate zeke inside and bring the other stray over to stay outside? Or if that doesn't work leave zeke out and bring the other cat in. If you can't do either bring him to the SPCA. It's better than him starving to death.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We tried bringing Zeke inside with the indoor cat and it was a disaster. Even tried Feliway to see if that would mellow the 2 cats to get along. It did not.

Can't bring Double inside that would even been worse. Double is aggressive to people and other cats. All three of the cats are males. Double has not yet been neutered. Maybe if we get him fixed he will be less aggressive.

I have decided to go get him and bring him to the new house.

Will keep you guys informed.

Larry

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I went to the old house and sitting in the driveway like a statue was Double. It was like he was waiting for me. He NEVER did that before. He was always close to the house or in the back yard. I got him in the cage and he freaked out!! I was worried he would injure himself. He didn't though.

Took him to the new house and to the back yard and let him out. He ran about 50 feet but then came back when I fed him. Its going to be real interesting to see if he is still here in the morning.

Stay tune.

Larry

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
No, I have NOT seen Double since bringing him to the house last night. I fed him around 6:30 pm and he stayed around for about 45 minutes.

I am not really worried yet because when I brought Zeke over to the new house he also stayed around for about 1 hour and took off. But Zeke came home that same night to the new house around 6:00 pm. The difference is I picked Zeke up at the old house in the morning. I didn't pick up Double until late in the afternoon.

I'm going to wait until about 6:30 to see if Double comes back to the new house.

I just have a feeling Double probably will go back to the old house. He is NOT as smart as Zeke, so that's why I feel he will go back to the old house.

I don't want to have to put him in a cat carrier again because he freaks out and I am afraid he will get hurt.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Larry

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, Double never came back to the new house last night. I'm getting ready to go over to the old house to see if he is there.

I had a strong feeling that he would NOT come back to the new house. Like I said on an earlier post, he is NOT as smart as Zeke.

Zeke just loves the new house. Stayed around most of yesterday and comes home by 6:00 pm just like he did at the old house.

If I do find Double at the old house it should be fun trying to put him in the carrier again. He freaked out last time.

I wish I had a way to insure he would stay at the new house.

Stay tuned.

Larry

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Most cats are very attached to their territory and home, so it might not be that Double is not as smart as Zeke. Could be Zeke is more in sync and attached to you. Because the two are not really good friends, Double is showing he'd rather be at his old house than with you and Zeke. Rather than using a carrier, you could wrap him in a blanket or large towel to carry him back.....entice him with some yummy treats (cheese or bits of chicken or whatever is his favorite food). Because the next time he sees you, he's likely just to run off to avoid being put in the carrier.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Two blocks is too far away to walk with a cat wrapped in a towel. Actually after re-reading your first post, I think the best solution would be if you could convince the people who bought your house to adopt Double, or at least provide some food and shelter for him.I don't think he will stay at your new place, and Zeke isn't happy having him there anyway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I went to the old house and Double was in the back yard in the woods. He saw me and ran right to me. He never did that before.

I got him in the carrier without much problem, only 1 scratch this time. He did not freak out this time, just cried alot. Got him to the new house and fed him. He was very hungry because I did not feed him yesterday at the old house.

If I keep feeding him at the old house he will always go back to the old house.

He has been here for about 1 hour. Has checked out the front and back yard.

Hopefully it will work out this time.

Larry

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guess what folks? He stayed at the new house all night!!!!!! Its about 8:35 a.m. here in Pensacola and Double stayed here all night.

I woke up, went outside, and there he was. He ran to me crying and just wanted attention.

I am so happy he is still here. I hope it lasts.

Larry

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Going with out food for a day sounds like it was a turning point for him....now that he realizes you're the food source and the other house isn't, he may stay around.....Good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
A happy ending. I was hoping this would work out. Feral cats have about a 2 mile radius that is their territory. But the bottom line is they HATE change. Good job and perservering.

Here is a story of Big Guy aka Norman who we had problems with in our barn program when we first started our TNR group! Happy ending. BTW Norman did get surgery on his eye also!

Green Valley Paws Patrol - Our Success Stories

1 - 17 of 17 Posts