Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meenu was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism about a week ago and we have had her on 2.5 mg of methimazole twice a day. We had noticed her vomiting about 3-4 months ago and brought her to the vet, who diagnosed her first with a grain allergy. We put her on Blue Buffalo's Wilderness brand of duck flavoured dry food (which the vet had suggested) and some inexpensive wet food. If this change in diet did not work, the vet said the next step would be to do blood work. However, the change seemed to do the trick and she had stopped getting sick.
We moved out of town around september, where she then started to get sick again. Although we thought it may have been the effects of the move stressing her we decided to take her to the vet anyway. Our new vet took the blood and diagnosed her with hyperthyroidism. When I went in to get the prescription I asked the vet a few impromptu questions about a new diet for her. The only thing he recommended was a geriatic diet, and proceeded to show me the blends they have at the vets office. Looking at the food's ingredients, I noticed an awful lot of grain in it. So I opted out of this option.

Does anyone have any ideas for a good diet to give a hyperthyroid cat? Specifically any particular ingrediants I may want to get for her/avoid because of her hyperthyroidism? Currently she is eating 1/2 a cup of the blue buffalo wilderness duck and a can of either Nature's Variety Instinct grain-free Duck Formula wet food or a can of Hound and Gatos Adult cat food 98% Rabbit wet food. Each can is 5.5 oz.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Felix was diagnosed with hyperT, but he also had feline cardiomyopathy. Both his cardiologist and our vet said to just feed him what he would eat, so I didn't delve too much into the best diet for him, other than a high quality, grain free wetfood. I was giving him several supplemental feedings per day because although his hyperT was addressed with the methimazole, he was still losing weight because of the cardiomyopathy. Many times I would just give him Fancy Feast because he would eat it!

I did however find a great website at the time by Dr. Mark Peterson who is an animal endocronologist. Here's an article from his website about diet for hyperT cats: Animal Endocrine Clinic: Diet and Nutritional Management of Hyperthyroid Cats

FYI: The link in his website is to the old Janet & Binky's list. Dr. Lisa Pierson has a list on her website that was just updated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts