Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the signs that your cat is lacking say Taurine or any of the other vital vitamins or nutrients in their diet? My cats are fine,just curios.

·
Banned
2,748 Posts
Well, re: taurine, heart failure or blindness, mostly, but by the time you see signs it might well be too late. If your cat is eating 80-85% muscle meat, there's not much risk of taurine deficiency b/c that's very high in taurine and how cats are supposed to get it. :) It doesn't hurt to supplement it (you can get a powder -- http://www.herbalremedies.com/taurine-1.html -- and most cats will just eat it sprinkled on the food a few times a week). I do supplement it b/c it doesn't hurt either me or them to do it, and why not be safe?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for posting this, and thanks for the answer! I was wondering the same thing, also curious if feeding all this meat was enough taurine. I think I am going to add a supplement just in case, especially since Sabre is still growing. But I've been feeding a lot of heart so I think he's pretty good.

·
Banned
2,748 Posts
Yes, heart is a muscle so has a lot of taurine. But so does dark meat chicken, beef, etc. One of the main culprits in loss of taurine is grinding -- one more reason to feed meat in as whole a state as possible!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I use human cod liver oil capsules for fish oil supplementing with cats, or are there other ingredients in there not meant for cats?

·
Banned
2,748 Posts
Cod liver oil is NOT the same as fish body oil -- do NOT use it. You need high-quality fish body oil -- preferably salmon or menhaden. Get it from a good natural food store, not from Wal-Mart, etc.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is good to know. One more question...my older cat is really not taking to raw,in fact she is so sceptical about any wet food(that she used to eat) because of me hiding raw in it, she is not eating anymore. If she gets through one can of newmans own in 4 days its a lot. Really stressing me out, so I have to get her back on some kibbles,but which is the best?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats the problem,she wont even eat canned,maybe once every 2 or 3 days. I really dont want to go back to kibbles,but I am getting worried now. Which kibble is the best though?

·
Banned
2,748 Posts
Well, she has to eat. Get one of the grain-free kibbles (EVO, etc), get her eating that at MEALS (not left available 24/7), then start working the canned food into that. You'll just have to go slowly. :)

·
Banned
952 Posts
Hi, Joshgamble:

It's much better if you can get your girl to eat wet, so here are a few tips I hope are helpful:

Put some wet on a plate right next to their dry food while they're eating for several days. Just enough so they can smell it while they're eating and begin to associate the two together.

Then drop just a couple of kibbles on top of the wet and offer that before their regular kibble for several days to see if they'll try it. If not, throw away the kibble pieces and put down the dry food next to the plate of wet for a few more days. Every now and then, put some wet food on your finger and offer it to the cat. If she will let you without freaking, rub some on her lips or gums so she gets the taste of it.

Also, in conjunction with the kibble, you could sprinkle freeze-dried meat treats on the wet food. Stella and Chewy's makes some, as does Whole Life and many others. Cats often find these treats irresistible and they sorta melt into the wet food, so they can't easily be picked out.

There are some more ideas in this article Transitioning Dry Food Addicts to Canned - hopefully, you'll find something helpful.

- - - - - -

Taurine; there are, no doubt, many as yet unidentified nutrients that are just as vital to a cat's well-being as taurine. Supplement taurine if you like, but the most important goal is variety within the 80/10/5/5 guidelines. This way, we are most assured of providing everything the cat need, even though we don't know what exactly that is. :D

Cod liver oil; not something you need. You can, as Hoofmaiden suggested, supplement with Salmon oil (use capsules since the liquid form tends to go bad quickly once opened), OR, you can feed each cat a sardine a week.

- - - - - -

Convincing cats that raw really is food can take a long time with some cats. Stay patient, Josh, and move as slowly as the cat needs you to move. :luv

1 - 12 of 12 Posts