Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my Hoover Pets does its job, I have to kneel and brush the wall-to-wall by hand and get tons of hair out. This is when vacuuming once a week.

What's your experience? What vacuum cleaner do you have and which would you want to have?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I wanted the Dyson animal SO bad, but I just could not let myself pay that much money for one. I would even settle for the regular Dyson, tried to find one on sale, they did have them marked down to $279! For a Dyson! This was last year at Target, and while I was busy trying to talk myself into getting it, they sold out :( I cannot tell you how sad I was. I ended up buying a Shark Navigator lift away. $179. It is NOT the Dyson, but it does a very good job. Better than my Hoover ever did. I'm not crazy about the hose attachment though, it is awkward to maneuver. But it picks up very, very well.

The Dyson is hands down, the best. I have also owned an Oreck, which picks up surprisingly well on bare floors. It does not blow the dirt around like some vacuums do. I have an Oreck that I have had for 5 years and it still works as good as the day I got it. It does not have attachments with it though, and I hate that. That vacuum was not cheap, it was $400, but my sister bought one at Target or Walmart for $199, and it works as well as my $400 one.

If money were not an issue, I would definitely get the Dyson. They last forever, and I don't think anything out there beats them. The Shark does have a handy pet hair attachment to it which works great. It even gets the hair off of the cat tree and does a great job on the furniture, that is the one thing I love about the Shark.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Dyson Animal is $630 here, a lot indeed. I'd buy it if I knew I'd be staying in this rented apt with the wall-to-wall for a few more years, but I cannot know. And I won't have carpets anywhere else I go.

·
Super Moderator
26,496 Posts
I love my Miele (5+ years), but I just got a cordless 2-in-1 Bissell and I absolutely love it for quick vacuum jobs. It picks up litter just fine and it's great for cleaning all my bathroom mats all over the house (especially in the litter box area). The 2-in-1 part is that it has a hand-held vacuum you can take out.

·
Premium Member
7,857 Posts
I have a Hoover Elite bagless, about 5+ years old now. It does a terrific job of sucking out that cat hair. Disadvantage is I have to stop and empty the canister after every room, but then again I have 5 cats here!

·
Premium Member
7,095 Posts
I have the Hoover Platinum upright and canister, and a Hoover commercial canister vac. I think the Platinum works better, but the commercial canister has a rubber brush attachment that is absolutely great at getting fur out of upholstery.

It's completely irritating, though, that the hoses on the two canisters are different sizes, so the attachments aren't interchangeable.

I had an Oreck for 10 years before that (also upright and canister), and I never had a problem with it, but it wasn't as effective as my current Hoover.

Isn't the Shark Rotator supposed to be amazing? And it's pretty cheap (under $200). But I can't justify buying another vacuum. :eek:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I've heard that the Dyson works just as well on bare floors as it does carpet. I do have a Dyson rechargeable stick vacuum, and it is great for quick pickups, but the charge only lasts 15 minutes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
have been happy with my shark navigator for carpets. it was a step up from my dirt devil. when I finally move out, maintenance replaces the carpeting anyway. new place will not be carpeted. SN not sure its so great for furniture. sometimes I just use one of those mitts to get fur off furniture.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have the Shark rotator lift away. I think it works great, but then again I have never used the Dyson. I came from a Kenmore canister, and it does a much better job than that did. It also has some nice attachments. I know they often compare it to the Dyson..

·
Super Moderator
26,496 Posts
I've heard that the Dyson works just as well on bare floors as it does carpet. I do have a Dyson rechargeable stick vacuum, and it is great for quick pickups, but the charge only lasts 15 minutes.
Well, to be fair, the stick/cordless vacuums are only supposed to be for quick jobs. But I hate pulling out the huge vacuum...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts