Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going through some old board games that my mil saved from my dh's childhood. He and his sister had scads of games, my bros and sisters were street kids. The only time we were in the house was if we were doing punishment. :lol: I think mine was probably double dutch or any rope game. Often some of the moms in the neighborhood would be "permanent enders" so all the girls got a chance to jump...it was fun, it's a shame kids can no longer play out of doors like that.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
We jumped rope in our neighborhood too, but I was not good at double dutch. Sled riding was our real favorite, but in the summer we played "Run, Sheepy, Run" ( a variation of Hide and Go Seek) and Red Light Stop. We had scooters, too, but they were like skate boards with a handle..no motor, of course. We just moved if a car came, because we played mostly on a one- way residential street.

When my best friend and I played, we played make believe of some sort, whether it was dolls or paper dolls. Every Christmas we bought each other a book.

Reading and playing school with my niece was great. We also played music school, and she learned to play the piano and harmonize by "osmosis."

Nice, nostalgic topic! :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
When I was really little my fav was my big wheel :) My brother and I were holy terrors on those things. That love was transferred to my bike when I got a little bit bigger.

·
Registered
179 Posts
We played Kick the Can all the time :)

I loved board games, too, and was seriously into Chutes and Ladders :D I grew up on military posts and we use to gather after school and play in the streets on our bikes and various other games like Red Rover and Red Light, Green Light, Kickball, etc. until our parents called us home. Childhood was great!

·
Banned
120 Posts
I used to play "War" everyday.. no surprise there.

In the winters we'd have at least one football game a weekend and in the summer, baseball was pretty much a nightly thing until the sun went down.

We played video games, but not so much, especially in the summer.

Pretty much hung around outdoors - playing outside rules...

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
EVERYTHING. I didn't have much....though I didn't need much because I never had any patience for a board game. I much preferred having sword fights with the neighborhood boys. It is a miracle that I never broke a bone. I must have super-human strength bones

I only didn't like two things.

One is this magnetic fishes that you pick up with a magnetic fishing rod. I had extremely poor hand-eye coordination back then. I got so frustrated that I tore all the eyes off the fishes so they wouldn't see me when the rod is coming. My family is still laughing about it now :lol: :lol: :lol:

However, I hated Legos. The humidity of Taiwan always made them impossible to separate. They also tend to go everywhere which drive my mom nuts. They also tended to splinter. Same with barbies. I would enjoy them so much more if their heads don't break off so easily and their feet are flat. No matter how much I tried I could never be able to put their shoes on so their shoes always ended up everywhere.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I used to love pretending with my friends to be the Thundercats. Not sure if any of you remember that old cartoon and just more early evidence that I was destined to be a cat freak. I was Cheetara naturally!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
One is this magnetic fishes that you pick up with a magnetic fishing rod. I had extremely poor hand-eye coordination back then. I got so frustrated that I tore all the eyes off the fishes so they wouldn't see me when the rod is coming. My family is still laughing about it now Laughing Laughing Laughing

HAHAHA! That is pretty funny. I bet you thought you were so clever at the time. Poor fishies!! you didn't even give them a fighting chance!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Whatever we played, we did it on my friend's trampoline. We played basketball and football on the trampoline, and all of our imaginary games as well. Most often we were astronauts or animals. If we were playing by "imaginary animals" rules, I was always a flying cheetah. We even played with the hose on the trampoline in the summer, although looking back I wonder why didn't get seriously hurt playing on a wet trampoline! That was really dangerous. Even though I hung out with a bunch of guys, I was the best at football. I was great at tackling, even though they outweighed me considerably. At night, we threw rocks for bats to catch and ducked behind the bushes when cars came. And waiting for the bus in the mornings we would play freeze tag.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I loved She-RA and had every doll, out fit and play set for her;They are still in my Grams store house; I also had a collection Of Pound Puppies and Kitties.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Oh man, where do I start?!

I had My Little Ponies...my mom put my initials on the bottom of one hoof of each one so I'd know which ones were mine when I went to play with my friends.

My best friend, Michael (my nextdoor neighbor...man, we were together all the time), and I had big wheels we drove around. Mine squirted water out the front if you pushed a button, I used to squirt my other nextdoor neighbor (in his 20s at the time)...he must have hated me. :)

I had She-Ra dolls and Michael had He-Man dolls, and we'd play together with those. He had all of the Ghostbuster action figures and we'd throw those into the mix.

Other favorites were Pound Puppies, the Get Along Gang, and Rainbow Brite. Ooh, and Teddy Rukspin (sp?), can't forget about him.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
When playing with kids at school I liked to play Red Rover and for indoors, 7 Up.
Toys...I liked stuffed animals, Care Bears, my Bright Light set, lincoln logs, hot wheels, red wagon, PUZZLES! I'm sure there are more.
Probably the most fun I had was not playing with toys though. I loved to play pretend and I loved playing in the woods. I liked to build forts, at one point a treehouse and tried several times to build a raft that would actually float in the pond.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I had two older brothers, so most of the games I played involved dirt. Some of my favorites were:

Flashlight tag at night in our backyard, hide and seek, and we used to go muddin (for those of you who don't know what that is..after a big rain, we used to get a nice BIG mud puddle right under our swing [one of those round boards with a rope through the middle hanging off the tree] and we'd pull the swing back, take off running and glide through the mud puddle with our feet)...man was THAT a blast (not to mention it got us into a LOT of trouble :oops: ).

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
I played outside alot which may explain my permanent tan right now. I was pretty good at alot of sports, hide and seek, tag, biking. Played Heart Attack on bikes where you ride behind someone and hit your front wheel on the other persons back wheel and almost make them spin out.

My next door neighbor were my best friends from 2nd grade + and we always went to baseball games, rollerbladed, and played together. I miss that b/c now we're not friends anymore and we've gone our seperate ways.

Board games like Guess Who, Life, Babysitters Club, and made sure my next door neighbor got me Girl Talk which I loved.

Cartoons like Thundercats, He-man, Tom & Jerry, etc.

I never got the Teddy Ruxpin which I kinda wanted. :roll:

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
kitkat said:
I never got the Teddy Ruxpin which I kinda wanted. :roll:
Aww, Kim! :( :wink:

I loved riding bikes with my best friend. We would ride to this little store and buy candy bars for a treat.

I loved playing kickball, playing hiding games in the woods, and trying to catch fish from a stream with my bare hands.

Board games -- Yahtzee, Sorry, Clue and Battleship were some of my favorites. :D

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
My favorite game was plain old running. My parents bought me toys and games, but my memories from when I was little are full of me just being a kid and getting the most out of my body and my energy as I could. I ran, I jumped, I swam, I climbed, and I was a very happy kid. I highly encourage kids to partake in this kind of "toy." lol

·
Registered
231 Posts
Teddy Ruxpin!!!!

I still have mine......I also found Grubby at a flea market but he's missing his connector chord and battery cover so I can't connect him to Teddy. :(

She-ra and My Little Ponies were my favorite thuugh...and Lady Lovely Locks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts