Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting so over organised for new kitten arrival (isn't even born yet, mum still preggers) yes, I know I'm sad.
I'm curious what would be better for my Cleveland, he's a year old next week, still a fun loving kitten( huge mind you) and I was wondering if getting another female would be better than a boy. Cleveland is neatured and so would new kitten when old enough. For some reason I'd love a little girl cat. Maybe it's my smooshy soppy side that'd like Clevey to have a girlfriend :oops: does it make a difference?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I added Jasmine to the fold when Otis was a year old, and Otis had no problems adjusting to her. I've heard that male cats will be less threatened/territorial if you add a female, but I really think it depends more on the cat's personality than it does their gender...

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well Cleveland is just a bif furball of love. He cuddles to anyone and everyone. He tried to snuggle up to 2 kittens he met in the vets and kept talking to them so I'm quite hopeful.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
I've read that if you have a female you're supposed to get male and vice versa. I have three females, though, and they all get along just fine.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Boy this is a good question and i can't wait to find out what the outcome will be.

*I* read that if you have a male resident cat it would probably do better with a female. I also read that if you have a female resident cat it would do fine with either so long as the personality of the cat permits an addition in the home to begin with.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I agree, it probably will depend on both cats' personalities....

When Stix ( boy) was neutered and about 8 or 9 months old we took in Kota (girl), who was about 3 months. After about 4 days I started catching him bathing her and sleeping next to her, it was so cute. He is kind of an independent cat, only likes you to pet him on HIS terms, doesnt like to be held much, etc., but he is nice with Kota most of the time. He ignores her when he is not interested in playing, but never hisses or growls.
She has a totally different personality; purrs all the time, loves to be held and petted, etc. She starts most of the catfights between them, though...and Stix ends up being the victim in all of them..he doesnt hurt her even though he is twice her size.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I think it's nice to have one of each. (as long as they're neutered!) The kitten will be very playful, of course, but your cat is young enough to enjoy that! It's best for kittens to stay with Mother and litter mates until 12 weeks, so try to be patient! Of course I know that's impossible! Well, tell us more when you get your little female. I think they'll bathe each other, play together, and cuddle. It's nice to watch. I have had only one adult male who intimidated my kittens, and I've had cats all of my life! :)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
When I was looking for a companion for Mozart, I was also told to get another kitten of the opposite sex too. Even the vets I spoke with told me the same thing.

But I fell in love with Ginza. After 4 days, I took a deep breath and adopted him anyway. He and Mozart connected on first sight, and they are best buddies, playing and sleeping together all the time. They get along like gangbusters.

I've also heard plenty positive stories about same sex pairings too. So I wouldn't say to rule out the same sex for a companion.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Since your cat has already proven to be friendly to other cats, I'm going to say that I don't think it will matter in the least -- what will matter is the new kitty's personality. But kittens adjust well to just about everything if they are introduced right away -- its harder to introduce two older cats. You'll be JUST FINE. Smooth sailing is my prediction. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm about to get a second Burmese boy and the vet told me that it would be fine to get another boy because Stanton (my Burmese) is so loving and friendly that he wouldn't mind either way. I think thats what it comes down to, if Cleveland is generally friendly and ok with strangers etc, then I reckon chances are they will be fine with either sex. The only combination my vet warned me against was girl and girl cause they both want to be boss - but as others have mentioned here, you can get around that as well by the sounds of things.

I say go with whatever your gut tells you, because if you're happy then Cleveland will sense that and will hopefully follow suit. :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well just to confuse you even more :lol: I have 7 cats ....I've found my 3 boys (formerly 4 until one died of an undiagnosed heart problem) got along WONDERFULLY with each other! They tolerate the female cats but could do without them. My 4 females get along great with ME and so-so with the other cats, male or female. I have friends and relatives with multi-cat households and they tell me their neutered boys are the best buds ever :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a lot of cats. But Drizzit, he and Timon will play but he HATES Duchess. He will hiss at her and go to smack her. I think if you have a male, to get another male. Oh and also because cats are fixed dont mean the males wont try to 'hump' the oppisite sex. :?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clear as mud now :D I'm going let fate put a kitty in my paws. When the furbabies are ready I'll see which one I'm drawn to. I wanted a girl cat originally (not sure why) but I chose Cleveland the moment I saw him and he's a wee star so I'll let lady luck help me on this one. Although I'm personally drawn to a girl. Or maybe a boy. Or a girl would be nice!!!

*head starts to spin again* :D

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
My older cat, Miles, doesn't really like strangers or anything new, but he was driving us up the wall trying to play constantly, so my boyfriend and I thought we should get another cat to keep him company. I read all over the internet to get a younger cat of the opposite sex, so the older cat wouldn't feel like the new baby was taking its place.

Anyway, we found Nico when he was about five weeks old, roaming the streets with his two other siblings and mother. We knew we should rescue one before they got run over or picked up by animal control, so we grabbed the one we thought was a girl and took it home.

Miles couldn't stand Nico for the first few days, hissing and swatting at him every chance he could. But after about four days, we caught Miles cleaning the baby kitty behind the lounge chair. When we took Nico to get "her" shots, we found out she was a he, which is another story in itself. Anyway, I understand why Miles was so upset -- he thought we brought home another boy to replace him. But it seemed like after a few days, the same sex thing didn't matter anymore to Miles. Today, they are best buds...calling for each other when they want to hang out, playing a kitty version of "Uncle", sleeping on top of each other. It is so cute!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts