Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to dig out books for the summer reading season. (Although I've never understood that summer should be more seasonally acceptable time to read. I actually tend to read more when it's cold outside. Whatever.)

I may have mentioned in an earlier post that my mom's husband, my step-dad Don passed away suddenly Christmas Eve after having been in our family for 19 years. After that, an attorney I work with gave me Joan Didion's "The Year of Magical Thinking". She (the lawyer) had lost her father in the last year and said the book really revealed some personal insights to her. I'm taking a stab at it, it's not my usual reading material, but it may be helpful.

That said, I'm also reading some funny stuff to balance out emotionally, LOL. I just read "Underwood, Scotch, and Wry" by Brian Meeks. It was actually pretty funny in a sarcastic sense, being on of the free books in the Kindle store.

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
I'm with Jeff! Reading is a wonderful winter pastime! Nothing like hibernating with a good book, a fire, and your furkids cuddled up with you!
At the moment, I'm not reading anything! I have a very eclectic taste in books, SciFi, mystery, biographies, etc, etc!!:p:D

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
I have to confess I am not a fan of reading. I rather watch a good movie. My whole family loves to read, I am the odd one.

·
Registered
413 Posts
As a college student, summer reading season makes a lot of sense. I'm not inclined to read much more than my texts during the semester. I like reading heavier fare. The last book I read for pleasure was The Brothers Karamazov at the end of last summer and I think I'm going to stick with Dostoevsky and go for The Idiot next! Really excited :D

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I'm an addict! In the absence of anything else, I'd read the back of a cornflake packet. I have to do a lot of reading for work (currently a book about the history of crime and punishment in Derbyshire!) but for pleasure, I love novels - I am currently going through a phase of liking detective novels with an archaeological background.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I've got several books fiction and non-fiction, about Lincoln and the Civil War. Fascinating era! Besides the devastating epic battles, there was so much going on BEHIND the scenes, spies, intrigue... I ordered Dark Lanterns, by Frank L Klement at the library. It should be coming in a week or 2, we have something called Search Ohio. You can order books from other libraries in Ohio!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I'm reading 'someone knows my name' by Lawrence Hill- not lightheaded, but well written and I can't put it down.
I'm a bit of a compulsive reader too ��
Winter is the perfect time to read, curled up by the fire

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Trying to get through the 'Game of Thrones' books, but time is my issue. I'm about halfway though book two (waaaaay behind I know...), and am watching the current season on TV. I really miss reading... I used to do it a lot when I wasn't working so much, and I LOVED to read as a child. I have a few that I would like to re-read once I have the time..."Fire Bringer" was wonderful and I've been really thinking about the 'Wizard of Earthsea' trilogy.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I read constantly. And I do mean constantly. No sense telling you all what I'm reading now, because tomorrow it'll be different.

And, I'll read the same books over and over, if I can't afford to buy new ones for awhile.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
I'm with Arienwen!! I will read virtually anything put in front of me! I save all my zillions of catalogs I get in the mail and take them up to the cat room and just sit and look at catalogs. I almost never find anything worth getting but every once in awhile I find an overpriced gem like these door stops. Purrfect for my cat room!

Cookie (12).jpg

black_kitten_doorstop_1_1.jpg

orange_kitten_doorstop_1.jpg

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I've been reading a lot lately too. I agree with Jeff, winter seems the best time of year for reading. This past winter I read a number of books on JFK, JFK Jr., and a couple of books about what might have happened if JFK hadn't been assassinated. One, Virtual JFK, which is a book and also in a video format, was especially interesting. It's a little dry, kind of like taking a history class where several professors are explaining their theories on JFK's ideology and how the events of the 60's (in their opinions) would have been dramatically different if he had lived and been re-elected in 1964.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I read so much that I canceled cable. I just don't use it enough. I get a lot of use out of my free library card though! :) They are having their annual sale this week at the Public Library to thin books out too. My upstairs neighbor and I arrived a half hour early (first there) got lot of books and DVD's for next to nothing. Great Titles and Authors. I am reading John Grisham's "A Time To Kill" right now. Almost done. Then I'm going on to Stephen Kings "Rose Madder".

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
And, I'll read the same books over and over, if I can't afford to buy new ones for awhile.
If you have a tablet or a smart phone (or even a computer I guess) you can get free kindle books from bookbub.com

I have it set up to send me categories that interest me every day. Almost every single day I'll find either a free book or a .99 book that I think I'd enjoy.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I read just about everything. Right now I am reading on Female Serial Killers in history. no particular book.

I just finished the Odd Thomas series recently and almost done with The Dresden Files up to the newest book.

I am also right now heavily reading all my Gardening catalogs, plant growing books LOL.

I think I have 2 or 3 novel sitting around which I pick up depending on mood.

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Kindle unlimited has it for 'free'(9.99) a month.

The kindle edition of the book without the subscription is 9.99

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I tried Kindle Unlimited for a month, but once I realized that many of the books I want to read aren't in the unlimited plan I cancelled it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts