Cat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I read constantly. And I do mean constantly. No sense telling you all what I'm reading now, because tomorrow it'll be different.

And, I'll read the same books over and over, if I can't afford to buy new ones for awhile.
This. Lots of this. I don't usually read around people because when I'm into a book I just burn through it. My SO timed me without telling me once and he estimated I go through 1 1/2 - 2 pages a minute...ish.

I'm currently going through an apocalypse/plague (but not zombies) phase. I started by reading Parasite and Symbiont by Myra Grant (which is very nearly zombies...), then I read White Horse by Alex Adams, the Lives We Lost by Megan Crewe, the 5th Wave by Richard Yancey, and last night I read Breathing Room by Marsha Hales.

Next up is North of Normal, which I'm pretty excited for. It's a memoir written by a girl who was raised in 'counter culture' living off the land in northern Alberta...mostly I'm just wondering what they ate, lol.

If anyone has suggestions of apocalypse books (not zombies) I'm always up for a new book :)

A BIG benefit, for me, of working in the library is endless books...and no fines ;)

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Jeff....most public libraries offer free e-books these days. I have accounts at 2 different libraries...my local town and the Boston Public Library. I found out that even though I don't live in Boston, I can have an account for e-books because I work in MA.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Do they stay on your device past the time allotment? I was led to believe by my local library that the books were the same as hard copy books and could only be checked out for a limited period and that creating electronic back-ups of them is illegal.

Although I think the librarian telling me this was saying the illegal part with a wink and a nod. I just thought she was having some sort of spasm.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
I belong to our local ebook library as well (it's run by Chemeketa). When the time is up the book becomes inaccessible.

I never thought to try and make a backup... once I've read the book it didn't occur to me to care if it disappeared.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Our library offers ebooks, but I just can't get past not having pages. Tactile feedback and all that , lol! I have read on my tablet, but I find myself going to the library for paper books.
:) our library has a great exchange with the bigger library in concord, so I can get most anything. Plus, they tend to order a book I request if it looks intriguing

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'm currently going through an apocalypse/plague (but not zombies) phase. I started by reading Parasite and Symbiont by Myra Grant (which is very nearly zombies...), then I read White Horse by Alex Adams, the Lives We Lost by Megan Crewe, the 5th Wave by Richard Yancey, and last night I read Breathing Room by Marsha Hales.
White Horses is my current favorite! I think I've read it three times so far! I love those types of books!

But I also love romances ;)

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Romances are my guilty secret. I tend to gravitate towards the Amish ones. They are less smutty and seem to have more (not much, but more) of a plot.

Those are the ones I usually get free from Bookbub. I run through just about a book per day at work on my PC Kindle App.

I do like apocalypse books (and movies), but zombie books have to be REALLY good to hold my attention and in this age of The Walking Dead there are just too many crappy zombie books out there.

Heavier reading at home is usually the classics, one of the many books written by the Dalai Lama (that's how I stumbled across the cat book). To the extreme opposite anything holocaust related. Anything to do with WWII fascinates me and enrages me all at the same time and I can't read enough about it.

I agree that there is nothing like the feel (and smell) of a book in your hands... but it's not practical for me. My kindle library is over 2000 books now. Having to store or get rid of that many isn't feasible and the library is great.... but sometimes i have to wait for the book I want or they can't find it or it's checked out and that just ticks me off. Between the free Library E books and bookbub and kindle books... Im set wherever I go.

The best part is that when I switch from PC at work to iMac at home to Tablet when I travel to iPhone when Im sitting in a waiting room somewhere. I can pick up where I lft off in ANY kindlebook. When I open that book on whatever machine it takes me to the last read page and I can keep reading without having to carry a book with me everywhere.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Do they stay on your device past the time allotment? I was led to believe by my local library that the books were the same as hard copy books and could only be checked out for a limited period and that creating electronic back-ups of them is illegal.

Although I think the librarian telling me this was saying the illegal part with a wink and a nod. I just thought she was having some sort of spasm.
Yes, they disappear after two weeks, although i believe your bookmarks and annotations (if you do that sort of thing) are available if you check it out again in the future.

It would never occur to me to want to make a back up copy. Reading a book in two weeks is no problem for me and once I've read it, I'm done. I'm not one of those people who re-reads a book multiple times. Although you can always check it out again if you want to.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I just checked out To See The Queen by Diane Duane. It's the 2nd novel in the Cat Wizards series. Wasn't there a 3rd book?

btw, April is National Library Month! :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Adding 'Inherent Vice' by Thomas Pynchon to my to-read-list. Have any of you seen the wonderful film adaptation by PT Anderson (one of my favorite directors - the man is a genius)? I can't wait to experience the source material that inspired the movie.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
My sister got me some Harry Dresden books for my birthday. Harry Dresden is a wizard who lives in modern Chicago, it's what you call urban fantasy. A good series in this genre is Knight Of The Word by Terry Brooks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am reading Burn by James Patterson who is my favorite author.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am now reading Homecoming by Danielle Steel, so far, so good.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I'm catching up on my mysteries! I'm reading The Morning Show Murders by Al Roker. He's written 2 other mysteries, The Talk Show Murders and The Midnight Show Murders!

I'm also trying to track down The Moor by Laurie King, part of the Holmes, Russell series...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Have read most of the Kathy Reichs, Tess Gerritsen, Patricia Cornwell (Scarpetta), and Robin Cook (Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery series my favorite though). Currently rereading the Left Behind series. If you saw the recent movie - yuck! The original Left Behind movies (first two) were good with Kirk Cameron and Brad Johnson.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
If you are looking for a bit of light-weight, feel good fluff with a cat theme, I recommend "Alfie" which is what I am reading at the moment. It's a novel written from the cat's point of view and it's quite sweet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Right now I'm finishing "White Oleander".

I have some books on my iPad that I need to get started on, especially Gone Girl.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
When you get finished with the current book on your e-reader and all the others look good...

This was the situation I was in a few days ago. I had so many new and interesting choices of books I had downloaded. What did I end up doing? Rereading E.M. Forster's "Room With a View". Sometimes a classic just feels right...

21 - 40 of 55 Posts