Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't even believe I'm typing this but I just had to type it!
In June this year Thomas came into our lives. A playful cheeky nutty kitten. Tosca, our 2 year old cat, made the clear point of disliking him and his cheeky face from the start. Tosca had been our one and only for so long. She would hiss loudly at him and swat him. Little Thomas soon became aware that Tosca was a cat to be feared NEVER played with or touched. He would cower sometimes when she swatted him. After a month. They tolerated each other enough for me to feel safe leaving them in the same area together but the situation was pretty much the same. Tosca would hiss growl swat at Thomas if he ever dared get into her "bubble" so to speak.

Well anyway last night I let them in and I noticed Tosca bounding along the path and sniffing Thomas. I thought it was a little odd.

Just now Tosca is lying on the rug in our living room and Thomas was lying quite close. Her tail was swishing and it was just too tempting for Thomas he had to have a swat. Tosca went just like a kitten and pawed at him playfully (no hisses). She grabbed him in a kitten head lock and licked him ( a bit roughly lol) on his head for some time. He tried to wriggle out of it.

I can't believe I just saw this. I never EVER thought that they would play. It only lasted maybe a minute if that. I just am so over the moon and happy right now. Maybe they COULD become friends after all? :cool:

·
Registered
836 Posts
That's so awesome, Kathleen! :D Maybe Tosca has finally decided to accept Thomas? June wasn't that long ago, and it can take some cats a long time to warm up to a new kitten or cat. Whatever the reason, I'm so happy for you!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
That is a wonderful thing. It never happened with my cat Beep, she never has accepted any other cats. I agree, it can take months and months for cats to accept each other, or even longer. My sister has a 9 year old cat and recently got a small kitten, this was in July. At first the older cat just hissed and swatted at the pesky kitten. Now, he is still not thrilled with the kitten, but he does not attack her, which is good news. The kitten is so perplexed as to why is is so cranky, she just looks at him and you can see in her face her saying "why won't you play with me"? Cats are so funny.

·
Registered
451 Posts
With my multiple kitties I always am hearing a little growling here and there, but I have been 100% lucky, NEVER have I had an official cat fight.

My #5 cat, Luigi, he came into the house totally 'afraid' and 'scared' but also fighting! Sometimes it's hard to understand if he's trying to play or if he's trying to be a boss, but he starts with ALL of my other cats except Ramona, who is a very submissive cat, and he enjoys playing (wrestling) with our newest kitten, Sampson. I am TOTALLY hoping that eventually he'll calm down and realize he won't be the #1 cat and will just happily goof off around the house and respect his 'elders' but I am unsure if that'll happen.

My female Sophie ALWAYS takes a LONG time to accept kitties, when we got Ramona (it was our first add on since we had adopted her and Boogey) she took a long long time to accept her and really all she does (to all of the cats) is hiss and growl, and sometimes swat but with NO claws. But she has stopped doing that with Ramona, but still does it with Luigi.. and to see her lately with Sampson she's doing so much better, it's so funny.

Anyways, I think that's whats going on with your kitties - I think they're accepting one another & I think Tosca is awesome & doing it better and faster than my sweet Sophie doodle bug.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts