Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they're not the BEST pictures, but you can see how the branches are just coated with ice.

Many trees have lost branches to the weight and there are still many homes without power at this date.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Kansas has been hit pretty hard. Most kids are going back to school today for the first time since before Christmas break.

Wednesday morning it was horrible in my town. We had about 2 inches of ice, sleet, and snow. When I walked outside to my car, my feet didn't make any imprints whatsoever. For the first time ever, my boss closed our office. It was just too dangerous to be out. Thankfully, we got a couple inches of snow later that day, which helps with traction.

Tens of thousands of people are still without power in Wichita. Last night on the news, they said about 44,000 still without. There are crews from several states working to help out Kansas.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Whoa! 8O I can imagine the weather that caused all that was pretty scary.... but the trees look so pretty and sparkly :lol:

I thought Scotland had bad weather... at half 11 last night scaffolding was being put up on building opposite because the high winds were causing chimney to fall down 8O

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Wow, you guys got a lot of ice, but not much snow.
We got a good 9 inches plus in Chicago.
The roads still are not plowed in alot of areas and people are getting stuck everywhere!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
<putting on "old codger" voice>

I remember back in the '98 Ice storm, we had ice four inches thick on the trees. My husband and I just sat on the porch and watched power transformers blow up down by the river. It was truly amazing stuff, until the old maple in front of the house, about 70 feet tall, came crashing down and sheared the power supply off the side of the house. It took the crews over two weeks to get us hooked back up (good thing we were ready for long periods of no power!). One of our then-tenants (we were managing my in-laws' apartments) had a teenage daughter, and we were trying to explain to her how to flush the toilet with a bucket of water, and she just got this horrified look on her face and said "Uh, I don't THINK so...I'll just hold it!" :lol:

I knew it was bad when we couldn't even get the fire trucks out of the station to go to a call...my husband and I were on our knees with a hammer and chisel trying to break the doors free because they'd frozen shut under inches and inches of ice.

We got mostly snow out of this particular storm, not much, maybe 6 inches or so, but nothing major at all. Be careful driving and walking under trees and power lines until that ice melts off (speaking from experience, I got clobbered and pinned by a big tree limb that broke free in an ice storm a couple of years ago, and for a while, I thought I was done for...luckily, my husband came looking for me!)

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AddFran said:
Wow, you guys got a lot of ice, but not much snow.
We got a good 9 inches plus in Chicago.
The roads still are not plowed in alot of areas and people are getting stuck everywhere!
I can imagine. My parents are back in Gary, IN. I think they got the same weather as we did down here (West Lafayette, IN) and were at the top of the ice line. Chicago was definitely above the freezing rain line. I think I'd rather have the snow. At least then it wouldn't have taken 20 minutes to clear off my windows the other morning. :D

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mismodliz said:
Kansas has been hit pretty hard. Most kids are going back to school today for the first time since before Christmas break.

Wednesday morning it was horrible in my town. We had about 2 inches of ice, sleet, and snow. When I walked outside to my car, my feet didn't make any imprints whatsoever. For the first time ever, my boss closed our office. It was just too dangerous to be out. Thankfully, we got a couple inches of snow later that day, which helps with traction.

Tens of thousands of people are still without power in Wichita. Last night on the news, they said about 44,000 still without. There are crews from several states working to help out Kansas.
We have several people without power in Indiana as well. I don't have the statistics, but I think it's safe to say that many states got hit hard with this.

One of the hotels in the area is offering people who lost their power 50% off rooms until Sunday. I hope that poeple without power everywhere don't have to wait too long until it's back up.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
emrldsky said:
One of the hotels in the area is offering people who lost their power 50% off rooms until Sunday. I hope that poeple without power everywhere don't have to wait too long until it's back up.
That's really nice of them. It's great to see everyone helping each other, especially when businesses like hotels could take complete advantage of people in a bad situation.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I agree. With the exception of the slower than usual traffic and the unplowed roads, I would rather have the snow.

·
Registered
722 Posts
We got like...4 feet of snow here no joke! And its STILL snowing! I miss Charlotte where, when it actually did snow, it was 2 flakes and you had to look fast or you'd miss it. It rained yesterday and now it's icy snow. Getting into my parking lot is a slippery sliding experience lemme tell ya. I have absolutely no control over the truck in the parking lot.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hope it starts defrosting for you soon! I'd take snow ice storms any day of the week. Snow is soooo much easier to get around on. We had a little snow a couple of weeks ago and now it's 76 again. Although, our ice doesn't normally get here until Feb.-Mar. Hope everyone is staying warm and safe!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
We are still covered in ice here. It was supposed to get up to 50 this weekend, but of course it didn't. Another wonderful high of 29 and another cloudy day. More freezing rain and snow in the forecast. :evil:

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mismodliz said:
We are still covered in ice here. It was supposed to get up to 50 this weekend, but of course it didn't. Another wonderful high of 29 and another cloudy day. More freezing rain and snow in the forecast. :evil:
Eep! I'm sorry to hear that. We got a few inches of snow after I took those pictures (but of course, I didn't take pictures of the snow!) but now it's all melted.

I wonder if power has been restored for most people.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
As far as I know, Wichita is pretty much up and running again. They are now cleaning up all the branches. There are still out-of-state crews helping. They say some rural areas are still without power and may be for some time yet.

There are some crews coming into the state today to help access damage.

We have power here in my town. Luckily, we never had much of a problem with that. I just wish we had a way to get rid of the ice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts